What's new

Can I Extend My Existing Speaker Wires? (1 Viewer)

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everybody, I've got what I think is a simple question here, but I don't have any idea about it.

I bought a stereo system that came with 5 speakers, and the speaker wires they each have are really long, but not long enough for the setup I have planned. I believe they are the standard type of speaker wires, the ones that have bare wires out the end, so my question was, would it be feasible to just buy a roll of speaker wire, and tie it around the end of my existing wire? Or would this interfere with the quality of the signal? If I could do it, would I need to cover up where I tied them together with electrical tape? Sorry if this seems a bit fuzzy, but I was having trouble trying to explain it! :D Thanks!

terence

Supporting Actor
I have been told by audiophiles that they is no scientific facts that supports a drop in sound quality. They are also audiophiles who would disagree, but if you are going to buy more wire why not by wire long enough to suit your needs?

If you go the route of adding on, YES use electrical tape to keep + & - from touching and cause your receiver to go into protect mode when you drive your system hard. If you don't hear a loss in sound quality and you can live with it then more power to you. I would buy the proper length to avoid all the hassle of joining wire, wrapping it with electrical tape.

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
terence is probably right about just replacing the cable with a new solid peice as it sounds like it is probably a small gauge which would be rather cheap to replace. When cable gets closer to a dollar a foot, I get cheap, and would probably solder and use stink tube (very inexpensive) instead of electrical tape for aesthetic reasons.

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone, but something just sounds different about the wire ya'll are talking about (+ and -) and the wire I am talking about. The wire I wanted to extend was one of those tiny speaker wires that all you do to install them is pull some of the protective plastic casing off the end of it, and twist the bare wire, then insert it into the receiver. Do I have it wrong? Thanks for the patience!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Zach,

We know what you’re talking about. Extending a length of wire is known as “splicing” – i.e., you splice two pieces together to make a longer length.

I had the wrong URL address in the link I posted above, but I’ve corrected it. Try it again to learn how to properly splice speaker (and other) wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne, it looks like those are some methods I should look into.

As for my confusion, I had no doubt that ya'll understood what I was getting across, lol, I just figured I wasn't explaining it very well to everybody. 'Cause usually I'm all it takes to throw off anybody! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks