Can i expect theater type bass with a EBS shiva ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Lastnight i went & saw Jurassic Park III ( which by all means is a GOOD movie ) and i found that i relly liked that type of bass it wasent all that loud ( for instinse the bass didint seem like it was doing over 110dB maby cause it was the theater ( it was a Famous Players Silvercity theater )
    Anyways could i expect simuler sound with a shiva in a EBS Alignment in a medium sized room ??

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I saw it today. Pretty impressive, though the theater I went to didn't have the sonic impact of the original JP in a different theater.
    Considering that the typical theater sub system is -10dB/35Hz, I think it's safe to say that an EBS Shiva will outperform it overall. IOW, assuming the DVD soundtrack (when it's released) has ample LF content, expect far more dynamic/louder sound effects.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

3. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

COOL THANKS.
    I think the theater that we have hear in mission is a small one with stadieum seating & it looks to me that it might only have two 18" subwoofer or two 15" subs with one sub in each corner.
    ( but belive me the theater is not cheap it's a awesome on good sound to me has pizza hut, new york fires, tacco bell, evrything and it also has a bar for the drunks and has a huge arcade.

4. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to say.
    How low & how loud do most theater subs go when your sitting three rows from the top ?

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Again, the typical install is -10dB/35Hz, so there's no deep LF at any high SPL. WRT peak SPL, they shoot for ~110dB/60Hz in a reverberant sound field so that it sounds ~as loud regardless of where you sit. This means ~100dB/35Hz, dropping at 24dB/octave, and why the deep 30Hz rumble at the beginning of The Fifth Element is barely noticeable at the theater and 'rocks your world' at home with a good sub. A true DD spec theater would be ~115dB/20Hz.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

6. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

That explains why the Theater sounds like crap I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that!
    Dave

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

IDEA, bring a Ratshack SPL meter to the movie, that would answer some questions.