What's new

Can I download Yahoo mailboxes/folders? (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a Yahoo account that is STILL getting those bogus "Microsoft" virus posts. Since my account name was used to send these out (not from my account, just using the name since I used my Yahoo account to post on Usenet newsgroups and it was harvested) I'm getting a lot of bounce backs from systems that "I" sent the virus to (geez!). Each one seems to be either 142k or 154k. I long ago set up a folder to route anything with "Microsoft" in the header to the Trash.

Every day when I go to check my Yahoo account, I'm over quota, even if most of the spam is in my Trash or Bulk folder, which means that legitimate mail is bouncing sometimes.

It ticks me off that Yahoo counts Trash and Bulk folder contents toward the quota, but I can't bitch too much because, after all, it's free.

Several weeks ago, before this latest spam attack, I was close to upgrading my Yahoo e-mail account. Now, I don't want to out of principle. They have no incentive to stop spam, because it FORCES people to upgrade. I won't upgrade like that.

I have several folders set up from past work projects and mailing lists I was involved in. I don't want to lose those contents, but if I get rid of them it will help keep my current mail from bouncing if I can't check my Yahoo account every day. (Quota for a free account is 6MG, and with all spam deleted I'm still using 67% of it).

Short of individually forwarding each and every message I've got stored (hundreds of messages!) is there any way to bulk download this stuff, so I can have them locally, and delete them from the Yahoo account?

I've looked and looked on Yahoo Help and can't find anything.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
There is no Yahoo officially supported way to do this. However, there is a neat little program called YahooPOPs that will do just what you are looking for. I've used it in the past with much success. Their site is here:

http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

Lemme know if you need any help getting it setup.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Outlook Express won't work because there is a special Microsoft tie-in with Outlook Express and Hotmail. I believe, Outlook Express will only work with Hotmail and vice versa.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Doesn't MS own Hotmail?

I have a Yahoo account that I use similarly for Yahoo groups and for signing onto company newsletters that I don't want to give my personal email, but I don't use it much. Maybe you can set the bulk/trash folder to be deleted faster rather than the default 30 days?

Jay

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Microsoft does own Hotmail, thus the tie-in with Outlook Express.

Is there a setting for when the trash and bulk folder get emptied? I looked around on my yahoo account and can't fine one.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Seth, I just checked my Yahoo account, take a look at the SPAMGUARD stuff they advertise in the "bulk" folder, if you have Spamguard set to "on". In that folder, there's a link you can click to go to the options as well as turn it on or off.

Looks to me it is not an option to reduce the 30 days deletion of spam in your bulk folder, other than manually deleting that folder. However, there does seem to be an option to Block the sender. Wondering if Vicky could do something like this using wildcards perhaps... I guess if you block a sender, the email wont even be put into a folder and wont count to the 6mb limit.

Just a guess though...

Jay

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! Seth, I've downloaded YahooPops thanks to your post. I've installed it, but don't yet know what to set the Configurations to so I haven't actually used it yet. I think I should talk to my husband about the Security settings. He's the resident geek, but is out of town, but will be calling in and I'll ask him. Otherwise, it does sound like it's exactly what I need.

I'll look at blocking the sender (hard, since what I'm getting now at Yahoo is mainly bounce-backs).

I use Eudora at home, btw, with an ISP shell account strictly for personal mail. I wouldn't touch Outlook with a 10-ft pole. The very name fills me with dread.

THANK YOU!!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah, a slight delay. I'm using Paid Mode Eudora 4.3, and YahooPOPs will only work with 5.x. As soon as I get some money on my debit card, I'll go ahead and upgrade to the latest Eudora release and pay for it. I've been using Eudora since it first came out, so I don't mind.

YahooPOPs is what I need though. I'll report back when all is done.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks