Can I double my speakers without hurting anything by doing this

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by kirtis_mcleskey, Jan 2, 2004.

1. kirtis_mcleskey

kirtis_mcleskey Stunt Coordinator

having my center speaker and left, right and surrounds but out of each of those speakers have another set of speaker wire leading to another set of speakers

im not wanting to do this now , but when we get in our new house , its going to be a banger booming sound lol

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Nope, too much of a load on the amp.

3. kirtis_mcleskey

k thanks

4. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

well if u series them and they are 8 ohm speakers that would be nominal 16ohm. I wouldnt do it but you probably could.

5. kirtis_mcleskey

what does that mean lol

im not doing , it , I do have it that way on my surround sound speakers though

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You have a big misconception here.

In the 60's and 70's the 'macho' system was 2 large speakers that tried to fill adjoining rooms with sound. Huge speakers and tube-amps were thing to have.

But a modern HT system is different. You surround yourself with an array of speakers all focused on a few seats. You dont care how it sounds in the corners, or the next room. This is why you can have a great HT system with less-expensive speakers and less power.

Adding more speakers would -

- ruin the panning effects and sense of surround because you now have multiple sound sources instead of the single source the sound engineers intended.

- Damage your electronics (the amp) by doubling the amount of work it needs to do. (Your speaker is essentially a Motor: it takes electrical power and converts it to mechanical energy). This will generate more heat and reduce the life-time of your amp.

If you want a 'banger boomer' sound, look into adding/upgrading the subwoofer. Multiple, self-powered subs do make an impression without ruining the other effects.

Series vs Parallel

If you MUST try your speaker experiment, connect the extra speakers in series, not parallel.

Series: Image the power comes out the red terminal like a water pipe. You want to run the power into the first speaker, then out and into the second speaker, then back to the reciever.

Parallel: This is where you run a wire from the red output on the reciever to BOTH red inputs on the 2 speakers. Do the same for the black connection.