Can I do this with HK 520?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kris_M, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Kris_M

Kris_M Auditioning

I will be getting a Harmon Kardon 520 reciever.It has preouts and main ins on all 5 channels. I have an Acurus a150 amp for my front channels. My speakers are Klipsch RF3's front, RC3 center.I have 2 surrounds and 1 rear center.Can I use the spare channels to passively biamp my klipsch center (giving me 150 watts per side front and 75 + 75 watts center and 75 watts on the remaining channels) and would this be worthwhile soundwise? Or would it just be hazardous to speaker and reciever?

Kris

2. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

No, I don't think you can do the biamp route that way but what you can do if you're running the Acurus amp for your front channels is reassign the internal front amps to your surround back channels so you'll have all 7.1 channels powered.

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

I think you can biamp the center, but not sure how to use a single rear center. IMHO, biamping the center, won't make it the equal of the L & R powered by the Acurus. Unless you are driving the speaker near max volume without biamp, then you might get a hair more. What Greg suggests is probably your best route. Buy another speaker to add to the rear center surround.

To biamp the center, pull the patch plug from the center channel pre-out and main in. Use a Y patch cord, with the single end going to the center preout, and each of the other ends going to the main in L & R channels, which are not being used because the Acurus is running on the main preouts. Wire the biamped center channel speaker to the main L & R output terminals.

You now have the center channel amp left, to use with surround center, but not sure which preout you connect to, and internal set-up for 6.1 vs 7.1. Check the manual, may have something on that. I don't believe you can Y the two center surround preamp outs together, but not sure.

JohnS