Can I do this with a Denon receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Mann, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

I own an AVR-2800 but I'd like to know if other models can do this if mine can't.
    I have my cable box routed to my AVR2800. I have my VCR routed to VCR1 with ins going to outs and outs going to ins. I'd DO NOT have cable out from the cable box going into the VCR.
    I can watch TV just dandy this way, but I have been unable to record cable onto the VCR this way. Am I capable of doing it WITHOUT putting cable out from the box directly to the VCR?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Evan: Yes, if the connections from your cable box are analog, you can do it with many units out there, probably yours too. Set the receiver source to the cable box and the VCR to the "line in" input. The cable box signal should show up on the VCR's inputs.
    An additional feature that my old 3300 and my new 3802 supports is the ability to record one signal while playing another from the monitor and speakers. I don't know if your 2800 can do this.
    ------------------

3. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Chuck,
    I do have my cable box connected via analog RCA's to the 2800 and did have the VCR set to Line In but got nothing recorded. I set the 2800 Source to Cable/DBS. I tried it with rec out set to VCR1 and got nothing. I'm not sure if I tried it with rec out actaully not being on at all. Could this be my problem?

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Set the Rec Out on the receiver to Cable/DBS, assuming that's what you have the cable box plugged into on the receiver. This will direct the cable box's signal through the Denon to the VCR's line in.
    I do this with my AVR-3300 and it works just fine.
    Todd

5. Chuck Kent

Evan: Todd's right. If you set the record out to VCR, you would be attempting to record the VCR, not the Cable/DBS.
    If this doesn't work, check your cables and make sure everything is hooked up securely.
    ------------------

6. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Interesting. Works differnetly then I though. Rec Out is the device you want to rec out from, not rec out to.
    Am I correct in that I set the Source to Cable/DBS as well like I have been?

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Actually, it doesn't matter what the source is set to. The Rec Out setting will provide the selected output to the VCR output jacks, regardless of source. However, if you wish to listen/watch the Cable input while recording, then, of course, you will need to select the Source to that.
    This makes it useful for multi-zone applications, as well as recording.
    Todd

8. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

What defines where Rec Out goes to? If I select Rec Out based on the input that I want to record from, then what defines where it goes to? YOu said it goes to VCR. Is it ALWAYS defined as VCR? What happens when I set Rec Out to VCR1? Does it use VCR2? What if I wanted to record out to a tape player/MD?
    Thanks for all the help so far! The manual does not give info on this.

9. Chuck Kent

Evan: If a receiver has a separate record out selector, then it records whatever it is set to. If you set the record out to "source", then you would record what it coming out of your speakers (IOW, this would be the setting similar to how you originally thought it worked.)
    All of the recording RCA output jacks (no matter whether it the tape, VCR1 or VCR2) get the same info (depending on the setting you have chosen above.) So, if you want to record the audio from VCR1 to your cassette deck, set the record out selector to VCR1. Then, when you play the VCR, it's signal appears at the tape record out RCA jacks for your cassette deck.
    Hope I have explained it ok??
    ------------------

10. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Chuck,
    Thanks again. I believe I understand. Any device listed in REC OUT will receive the output signal from the device I currently select as REC OUT via the RCA Output for that device. So the receiver is pushing the REC OUT signal through ALL of it's outputs essentially.