1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Do This? RG-6 With F-RCA Adapters?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by James Edward, Mar 16, 2004.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My neighbor has a situation where his sub cable may go under his house, exposed to the elements. Can he use RG-6 cable with RCA adapters at the the ends?

It seems to me that it would be fine- after all, it is coaxial, well shielded, etc. What is the learned consensus on this?

Thanks for any replies.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Certainly. I'd be looking to find a cable that's outdoor rated with a 100% copper center conductor. Might also want to look into supporting it somehow to relieve any stress. A lot of people use a regular old video cable and F to RCA adapters with great success and I might add, with quite reasonable costs.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've made a 25' subwoofer cable with white CATV coax and adaptors for about $12.

I had great success with 1" nylon loops from the hardware store attached to the underside supports of the house to string dual runs of RG6 and computer network wire. While you 'can' just let the coax lay on the ground - it really should be tacked up.

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

He should have no problems. The major problems he would have running it outside would be sun exposure and water exposure. I assume that sun exposure wouldn't be a problem if it's under his house, and as long as he tacks it to the bottom of the joists, water shouldn't be a problem either. Your normal coax cable should be fine.

CJ