What's new

can i do home theater decently for $500? (in a small room) (1 Viewer)

adam dolph

Auditioning
i have a toshiba 27a50 that i'd like to turn into the centerpiece of my modest home theater. i'm really considering home theater in a box because of all the features, convenience and cost, though i haven't heard anything for myself yet (the panasonic with dvd-audio comes to mind, or possibly pioneer or onkyo). other options i'm considering are getting a "high end" computer 5.1 setup with or without a dts decoder (with a dts decoder to hook up directly to a dvd player, without if i get a new sound card and hook it up to my computer, xp1800 with radeon 8500). i know from what everyone's told me that htib is the worst way to go, but it also seems to be the cheapest. for a small room (15x20), is htib that bad? or is component still clearly better without necessarily being more expensive? TIA!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$500 is nearly impossible for separate components, IMO. A cheap receiver and speakers alone will eat that budget, and leave nothing for sub, and source. At that price, an HTiB or used is probably your only option. Otherwise, I would recommend building a portion at a time and get better gear.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
HTIB is the worst way to go but if I didn't have the money then it is better than nothing. I've actually been considering an HTIB for my bedroom...primarily due to the clutter that separate components would create.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
The Kenwood seems to be highly recomended. Although for a little more you can get a cheap reciever 250-300 the JBL NSP1 speakers $200 shiped from jandr.com (probiably for a limited time) the DLS sub from partsexpress.com for $100 or the Sony SA-WM40 $150 pluss some ratshack interconects and speaker wire mabey $50.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Kenwood seems to be highly recomended. Although for a little more you can get a cheap reciever 250-300 the JBL NSP1 speakers $200 shiped from jandr.com (probiably for a limited time) the DLS sub from partsexpress.com for $100 or the Sony SA-WM40 $150 pluss some ratshack interconects and speaker wire mabey $50.
While true, that doesn't include a source (DVD, CD, etc...), and that is already more than $500. It will be better than an HTiB, and be a good start. While the NSP-1 setup is good, I would say start with a receiver, DVD and a pair of decent bookshelf speakers. J&R has the JBL S-26 for $159/pr. You can probably get by without the sub with these speakers until you can afford the sub, center and rears.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would suggest getting a modest receiver, main speakers, & DVD player and then slowly add to the system as money permits.

Your computer idea is used in many high-end projection systems but requires a lot of tweaking to work correctly. S-video output from a HTPC looks (IMO) pretty bad. You will need a decent RGB->component transcoder ($$$) which costs as much as an external DVD player.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I would get the Onkyo for $500--%550 then upgrade as you go. You will still need to get a DVD though. This would serve you very well as would the Kenwood. I would not go with any thing less. These two will do a good job in a bigger room that you mention. GOOD LUCK !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks