What's new

Can I do better than Axioms?($600 budget) (1 Viewer)

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys. Just found this forum a few days ago. There is so much great info here....I had to try and soak up some info before I posted :) As you will notice, I'm very new to all of this, so please go easy on me.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a pair of main speakers(floor or bookshelf) and a center channel.

They will be run off a Denon AVR-1804.

Right now, the best I've found for my money, is a pair of Axiom M22ti's, and a VP100 center.

The only concern I have is that people say the Axioms are bright. That is really something I try to avoid, but can deal with it if it's not to intense. Are there better speakers for the same price that will have a warmer feel to them? Also, I'm not going to be running a sub for now, so any suggestions on floorstanding mains with better bass would be nice.

My main listening will be TV/Home theater. Music is not as big of a factor, but I do use this room once and a while for musical listening. Is it better to have a bright set of speakers in HT use? I don't want anything so "warm" that it sounds muffled when I try to watch DVD/TV.

The room is fairly small. Maybe 15'x20'.

So....Have I done my research thoroughly? Can I get something better for the same price? I really can't go much over $600.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike Allen

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Mike,

The best thing you can do right now is go out and listen to many speakers and find out what you like.

Speakers are totally subjective, it has been said many times, what one likes, someone else may not.

There are other speakers in price range that you are looking in that have different characteristics to the M22. The M22 is a fine speaker, but you should judge it on your with your own tastes.

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't aware that Axiom were even sold in retail stores. How could I listen to them?...or any "internet" company's speakers? If I could afford to pay retail, of course I'd go to the retail store to listen to them, but how is this an option for me?

I'm about 70 miles outside of a major city anyways, so it's hard for me to find good A/V stores as it is. I don't think auditioning speakers is a real option for me. Word of mouth is all I have to go by.
Mike Allen

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I was in the same boat as you a year ago.
The best thing I did was buy the annual buyers guide that S&V put out. It lists almost every make and model with prices which made it very simple to narrow my choices down in my price range.
I went strickly on mag reviews and consumer feedback to make my final choice of Wharfedale Diamonds.
A set of 8.4 three way towers and the center list at $700 but I found my setup at a authorized dealer for 30% off + shipping.
Axiom are a great speaker from what I've read and were on my list of speakers including Dahlquist, Athena, and Paradigm.

Hope this helps.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Mike,

I think Axioms are in some retail stores in Canada. The only way to hear internet direct brands in the States is to fine some one that has them for an audition, or order them and use the 30 day trial period.

By listening to speakers, I meant get out to some shops and listen to a lot of stuff.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Also take a look at AV123.com

They have a new smaller line of speakers that are getting good reviews that may be the ticket for you.

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
hey you should try and find a pair of paradigm monitor 7. i had them for about 2-3 months now and they still sound great

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
NOOOO...too...many...choices!.......Feel...overwhe lmed. :D

Okay, I've been looking more at the Rocket ELT's. I may just spend an extra $300 and get the 5.1 set. Looks nice.....can't find anything bad said about them. I need a sub anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking into all of them. Keep them coming if you think of something.
Mike Allen

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I went with Paradigm and got the CC-270 (acutally the 170 to begin with, but I ended up with the 270 at no extra cost....long story), Titans in front, Atoms in the rear, and 2 omnimounts all for $586 after tax. I already had a sub (which is now the weakest point of my system). I am using the Denon 1803 and I really like my system. Just a 1st hand user testimonial. ;-)

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't HT great??? It only took from 1:22pm to 6:57pm to get you to go 50% over your original budget!!! :)

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, tell me about it.

A few months ago I started putting together a pretty nice setup for my car. My original budget was about $400 for a sub and amp, LOL. Of course, after I got started, I needed a better sub and amp than I was originally planning on...then a new deck...then new speakers, etc. So far I've spent $1200+ and am still going :frowning:

Now I'm wishing I would have put most of that into my HT seeing how I'm in my house a LOT more than my car, but ahh well. Live and learn.

Thank god for credit cards :D
MM

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hi Mike! I would second the ELT system that av123 is offering. It is a truely amazing HTIB system. I have been using the Mains and Center for about a month now and they continue to amaze me on a daily basis.

I haven't heard the Ascends as of yet but I have read some good things about them as well

Good luck with your decision!:cool:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Mike,

Another Ascend fan here. I also have been listening to the ELT mains.

The ELT mains are good for the money. I have not heard the center or the sub. For $899 plus delivery, the system is a good deal.

For a two to three hundred dollars more, you can step up to an Ascend/Hsu setup, that IMHO and others, truly competes with systems costing 2 to 3 times more.

But like everybody says, it is important for you to get out and listen to stuff.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Since nobody is backing you on your first choice, I will. The M22s are great. I would try and step up to the VP150 center. Keep in mind you can get cheaper speakers at the Axiom Outlet on their website. That's where I got all my stuff and I can't see any sort of blemish on any of them.

I've heard the Ascends sound good if you can get past how ugly they are.

Frank

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't even realize there was an "outlet" store for Axiom. That could(once again) sway my decision.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Ascends. But you're right, I'm having a hard time getting over the looks.
Thanks for your post :)

BTW....For anyone willing to answer such a question.....
How do these speakers(Axiomm, Ascend, ELT's, etc.) stack up against similarly priced mass market speakers(Polk, Klipsch, Wharfdale, Paradigm, etc.)?? I know this is a VERY broad question. But in general, am I going to be happier going with one of these companies as opposed to going down to Best Buy and getting some Polk's? I have a feeling I know the answer to that, but just want some confirmation before I purchase speakers I can't hear first.

For the record, I've never been impressed with middle of the line Polks or Klipsch. Will I be happy going in the direction I'm going?
Thanks.
Mike Allen

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
BTW....For anyone willing to answer such a question.....
How do these speakers(Axiomm, Ascend, ELT's, etc.) stack up against similarly priced mass market speakers(Polk, Klipsch, Wharfdale, Paradigm, etc.)??
A very broad question indeed—the disclaimer first: my view is in no way meant to imply or state that Polk etc. don’t make good speakers that provide a good value—as I think that they do and if one of those manufactures makes a model with a sound that matches your tastes, you will be well served. Also I have not heard every model of these B&M brands, nor every model of the Internet brands (I’ve not listened to Axioms at all).

However, for me, both Ascend and Rocket make models that are very much better than their equivalents in those B&M brands.

However I would highly recommend that the either the ELTs or Ascend 170s be combined with a subwoofer when you have the budget. I would say the same for similar B&M speakers in this size and price range. None of the speakers in this class (that I’ve heard, of course) really produces enough at the lower frequencies to satisfy one (well, at least me) in the long run.

For me, the ELTs are by far the best looking of the speakers under discussion, but those who don’t like the wood and prefer black will have a different opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks