Can I CONVERT a 5 V Trigger to a 12 V trigger?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickSP, Jan 12, 2004.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Is there a way to convert a 5 V trigger to a 12 V trigger? My prepro has three 5 volt trigger outs but they cannot provide enough juice to start the amp which requires a 12 volt trigger. Any suggestions?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Nick,

Which prepro are you using that only outputs 5V triggers?

Michael

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Michael , I am using the Proton AS-2631 processor which has three 5v trigger outs.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Which amp are you using? My Rotel 1095 takes a 3V to 30V signal on the 12V trigger input to kick it on.

Kevin

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Kevin, I have an AMC amp that does not have a trigger. I am using a NIles power conditioner with 12V triggers (two) to power on my amps.

6. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

'Don't know how "DIY" you want to go with this... but a little 12V power supply (wall wart?) with a relay or logic-level FET would do the trick...

Dave

7. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Yeah this doesn't sound hard at all. All you'd need is a 12V supply, some relay(s) that were 5V SPDT or even SPST would work.

Put the +5V on one end of the coil the negative on the other side; and the 12V connection, one end to the trigger the other to the +12V supply and connect the negative from the supply to the other pole for the trigger. (That should be how the trigger works, right? It should need the + and - connection?).

You might want to use some fusing in there just in case as well (usually done on the positive wires). As for the relays, I can't be sure of any part numbers to use for 5V coil but I'm sure they are out there. Nothing heavy duty would be req'd either, probably a 5A relay (even less) would do fine.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If the pre-pro has a switched power outlet on it you simply plug a 12v power suply into it and connect it to the amp using an appropriate connector on the other end. This is the method alot of us using external amps w/ receivers as pre-pros that don't have trigers at all.

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Stephen, as luck would have it, my prepro has two "unswitched" power outlets only [​IMG]