What's new

Can I connect two home theater system (1 Viewer)

djjermey

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
can connect two Home Theater System?I have two home theater systems. So I was wondering if it is possible connect this Panasonic SC XH70 to my samsung ht-d5300 from the optical out. I mean use the samsung HT-5300 optical out, to run a (optical to rca cable) to connect it to the Aux of the Panasonic SC XH70. Can I do this?

djjermey

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
schan1269 said:
Neither of those systems has an output beside HDMI.
so can be able to connect them from the HDMI. Hey, how are you? I was trying to set them up like this; get a (HDMI to RCA cable) and connect the HDMI to the Samsung HT, and the RCA to the (AUX IN) of the Panasonic. Setting them like that will be fine? Another question, would I be able to listen everthing I play on the Samsung HT, on the Panasonic HT?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
A few questions:

1) Why are you attempting to connect these two systems in the first place? This is not a "normal" setup:

[*]Do you want to just double up the sound in 1 room - so I have 10 speakers in 2 systems - and want them all on at once with the same source material?

[*]You have a second theater room available - and would like to show the same material in both rooms at the same time?
[/list]
-- If either of these is the case - then it probably can be done if we look hard enough at the wiring and connections

But just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.- I would not recommend that you even attempt it.

Why?

If you manage some wire cluge between the two systems - and can some how get it to actually work in the first place - it just is not a good idea.

You have a couple of home theater in a box systems - and you will be adding just extra noise into a room - with possible delay issues.

If there is no delay issues (and there will almost surly be some), then there will be speaker match problems if they are in the same room. If either of these systems don't sound that good on their own, they will sound even worse when attempting to put them together. Add to that a delay between the systems, and you will end up with a mess of echo sounds.

Then there will also be output matching issues - as each system has a separate volume control. If you happen to get them close to a matching volume - any time you want to go up or down in volume - you will have to re-adjust both systems.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
djjermey said:
so can be able to connect them from the HDMI. Hey, how are you? I was trying to set them up like this; get a (HDMI to RCA cable) and connect the HDMI to the Samsung HT, and the RCA to the (AUX IN) of the Panasonic. Setting them like that will be fine? Another question, would I be able to listen everthing I play on the Samsung HT, on the Panasonic HT?
Answer the why you are attempting this...If "more noise"...you are wasting your time.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
This is the second thread asking about this...why is it so important to connect the two HTiB systems together? I'm not understanding this at all...

Don Delphonic

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
can connect two Home Theater System?I have two home theater systems. So I was wondering if it is possible connect this Panasonic SC XH70 to my samsung ht-d5300 from the optical out. I mean use the samsung HT-5300 optical out, to run a (optical to rca cable) to connect it to the Aux of the Panasonic SC XH70. Can I do this?

Of course this is possible, ever hear of HDMI out to HDMI in, just be sure to calibrate each system independent of the other.

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
There are good reasons to use two Receivers, and good ways.
I have an Onkyo TX-RZ810, a $1400 Receiver. I use the front pre-outs on it to run a separate, more powerful amp to drive my Pioneer HPM 1100s. The problem is, those speakers are power hungry. The Onkyo does a good job, but is not made to drive them and 7 other speakers. With a separate amp, the HPM 1100's 15 inch, 6 ohm woofers, get the amperage they need to drive cleaner and with more force. Many of the towers with large drivers these days, have onboard amps so that a set up like mine is not necessary. The HPM 1100s are old school (1982 vintage); but if properly driven, they Rock.

As for you
You really need your main Receiver to have pre-outs (pre amplifier outputs). That way, you will have only one control Amp/Receiver managing the sound. After you set up the parameters on the second Amp, unless it has auto power, the power switch is the only thing you will need to touch. Otherwise, with two complete systems controlled separately, you will have conflicts; like delay, volume, and processor differences. Also, you will need a component controller, or two outputs to come from each component, or on some receivers, the record out can act as a pre out for each component (run a chain). But I would not recommend this. In my opinion, it would require too much baby sitting to maintain an optimized sound field from this type of system.

Mind one last thing.
Two multi channel Receivers, a big TV, and a few other components, may exceed the 15 amp rating of the power line and its circuit breaker. If you see lights dim during loud sounds, you will eventually have power supply failures. The alternative is to upgrade your house's electrical system, or downgrade to one Receiver. If you upgrade, a 20 amp dedicated outlet solves most of these types of problems. My Onkyo's power consumption is rated at 650 watts. 650w/120vac = 5.4 amps. My SVS PB200 sub is rated at 500 watts. 500w/120vac = 4.2 amps. Just my sub and one receiver pulls 9.6 amps.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1) Please note, this is resurrecting a 2014 thread: the original poster hasn't been online for over three years. This is an occasional downside of the forum's "Similar Threads" feature.

2) I don't know why anyone would want to connect one HTiB to a second HTiB. That's throwing good money after bad. If you're upgrading, spend a little more and buy a competent AVR to drive your system. Put the old HTiB in a spare bedroom or whatever. But If you *really* want to daisy chain two HTiB's, pay close attention to the plan before you buy the second one. The OP's situation (four years obsolete, natch) has two HTiB's neither of which has the right inputs or outputs. The Panasonic has only audio Line In input, and only RCA HDMI and Composite Video outputs. The Samsung has an Optical Input and HDMI out. There's no good connecting these two. Neither has a multi-channel pre-in.

3) Receivers generally do not have multi-channel pre-inputs. Without that, Receiver B has no inputs for the line-out of Receiver A's pre-output. If you want external amplification for your receiver, you need to buy amplifiers. (There are likely some receivers with pre-inputs. I did a quick check of current Onkyo models and didn't see this even in the $1000+ units, so I'm assuming this is the norm for all major brands, especially for budget models).

4) Keep in mind that power ratings are typical RMS values, and lead to RMS amperage calculations, not peak amperage. If you think you're at risk of popping circuits, buy a Kill-a-Watt (or similar) to measure actual usage or hire a professional to size and install the necessary house circuit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks