What's new
World Wide Stereo

Can I connect 5.1 speakers to a new flat TV? (1 Viewer)

WallyBal

Grip
I'm a new to this forum and I'm not sure if I posted this question in the right area.
My 5 year old Sony 34"XBR tube set died. I have a 5.1 Sony speaker system which was an option at the time.
It came together with a 5 disc DVD player as a complete setup.

I was thinking of a new flat panel TV. My question is can I hook up
my Sony DVD/sound system to a new flat panel TV?
Or do I have to go out and buy a new DVD player along with the TV.

I will upgrade my dvd player to a HDTV in the future along with the speakers.
I just can't go for all the expense at once.

I got a quote of $500 to fix the 34" so I was thinking its time to upgrade.
If I can't join the DVD and speakers to a new TV, maybe the repair is the way to go.

What do you think?
I appreciate any suggestions you have.

I really need some ideas.
Thanks,

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
When you say "speaker system" I'm assuming you have a HTIB. If so, then in general you should have no problem hooking it up to a flat panel. The HTIB probably has a component output (you'll need to confirm); so make sure the monitor you get has a component input (most do).

Eventually, you'll want to use HDMI to make the sound system to TV connection, but you can do than when you upgrade the sound system. (I don't know for sure; but I can't believe there's a flat screen being made now that doesn't have HDMI, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.)

After confirming your current conections your main issue will likely be how many and what type of input to look for in the TV. Since you're already comfortable using a sound system, the TV shouldn't need execessive connections (the eventual sound system might be a different story) so you should be fine.

WallyBal

Grip
Thanks for responding.
It took me a while to look up what my speaker system is.
It's called a DAV-FC9 Compact AV System. I don't know what a HTIB is.

I don't know if that will help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Sorry, HTIB stands for Home Theater in a Box. They generally include the DVD, amplifirt/receiver. and the speakers all in one package; as opposed to buying them all separately.

The DAV-FC9 is a HTIB and it looks like it has component output (blue/green/red terminals) so you should be okay. I had the devil of a time getting specs on this model for some reason (even Son't site wasn't very helpful), so you should confirm what I found by looking for the B/G/R terminals as output. Maybe even trying to connect them to another TV just to see if they're working.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can leave the speakers and DVD player connected up the same way as before.

That is, connect the new TV in the same manner as the old TV.

Better results will be had by substituting a component cable set (red, green and blue plugs) for a former single video cable between the TV and the rest of the system. For those eavesdropping, both the TV (all new models comply) and the receiver must have matching jacks to accept the cable set. The red and white plugs for audio remain in use.

(Cable sets with red, white, and yellow plugs when used for component video will sometimes give a degraded picture.)

WallyBal

Grip
When I was a lot younger, My father pluged the TV into the wall. The antenna wire went to the roof antenna. (The roof antenna came after the rabbit ears.) The TV worked.
Their were 3 things on television. Roller Derby, News, then came wrestling.
I was a kid.
It was a Motorola with a 7 1/2" screen. My father carried
it into the house under one arm.

Now I look in the back of my TV set and see wires going in all directions.

I don't know how you guys do it.
I'll follow these instructions step by step.
I'll have a fire extinguisher ready when I plug it all in.

Thanks again guys

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale