Can I change the tweeter in my center channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_B, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B Extra

I am wondering if I replaced the tweeter in my Def Tech CLR-1000 center, could I improve the speaker. One some movies, I feel that the dialoge is a little muffled. Would putting a better quality tweeter in fix this? The tweeters in my front three speakers are different right now so I am not overly worried about matching the characteristics of the front three.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    PS - does anyone know what tweeter is in the CLR-100-B? I emailed Def Tech but I am still waiting for an answer.
    Yippee - my 200th post [​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The crossover network should have been designed with a particular tweeter in mind. If you put in a different driver, the crossover network won't be right any more and you will more than likely end up making the speaker sound worse.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

To add a bit to what Dustin B said, and why this is not a good idea:

Increasing the level of the frequencies covered by the tweeter or in any way changing its output, might or MIGHT NOT do anything for your "muffled" dialog. It depends what frequency range the tweeter covers.

Be aware also that some DVD's suffer from less that ideal dialog presentation.

Even if you successfully manage to tinker with your center speaker to change frequency response, you are now unbalanced with your left and right speakers. Not a desirable situation.

The only workable alternative would be to change speakers to more "forward" ones, or use equalizers.

4. Chris_B

Chris_B Extra

I'll give the equilizer a try on the center and boost the high end a bit. If it doesn't help, no harm done. It may be fun just to try.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that could be issues of positioning your center channel as well as just the way the movie is. bad idea though.

6. Chris_B

Chris_B Extra

I have repositioned the center from the top of my RPTV to a stand in front. Very dynamic scenes in SPR and LOTR still have very hard to hear dialog. The options to alleviate this problem are:

1) new speakers. I am going to get 5 new speakers this winter to the tune of around $2,500.

2) new pre/pro or receiver ($1,200 on up). I will go the seperates route sometime down the road. Right now, my Denon 3801 and Marantz mono amps are fine.

3) try an equalizer for the center channel. If I don't like it, I can always remove it.

I'll let you know what I think when I give it a try.

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I also have a Definitive Technology CLR1000B. I believe the tweeter is the same 1 inch aluminum dome tweeter as in most of the higher end Definitive Technology speakers including the BP3000.

The CLR1000B does not sound muffled to me, nor is this a common complaint among Definitive Technology users. In fact some owners complain the aluminum dome is too bright and revealing and prefer the older silk dome.

I agree with Dustin and John about not switching the tweeter. Someone reported in another forum he asked Definitive Technology about switching the aluminum dome tweeter for the older fabric dome one and was told this was not advisable because of differences in the crossover. Also, I am not sure that the muffled voices are at a frequency above the crossover to the tweeter, so switching the tweeter may not address your problem.

Rather than look at replacing the tweeter, you might investigate other causes, such as:
    1) Positioning. Although moving this to the front of the RPTV is what I would have suggested and may be all you can do.
    2) Set-up and calibration. Sometimes an adjustment of the LFE cross-over, change from Cinema Re-eq, change in dynamic equalization or just adjustment in the calibration level may make a difference.
    3) Defective speaker or problem with processor. Also, a poor cable might create a problem.
    4) Mismatch of speakers or other equipment making calibration difficult or causing other problems.

One possibility would be to try to switch out the speaker or receiver by taking a unit on trial where you intend to buy your future upgrades. Alternatively, take your CLR1000B into your friendly local dealer and try it with their equipment to see if this resolves the problem. You might also try one of your other speakers on the center channel.

Good luck,
    Mike