Can I calibrate an LCD projector with Avia or VE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Wegimont, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Mike Wegimont

Mike Wegimont Stunt Coordinator

I have an LCD Projector that I'd like to get better clarity out of. Will VE or Avia work for this purpose? It seems that these disks are more geared toward Direct View and CRT.

If these won't work, what are my choices?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    AVIA is the better choice. Don't take any shortcuts though. Read the directions carefully because you have to follow them to the tee to get the correct adjustment.

3. Mike Wegimont

Could you please explain why Avia is better? I have VE so if I could use that and save $50 bucks, I'd like to do that.

BUT, if Avia will make that much of a difference, I'll buy it.

Thanks,

Mike

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The patterns in AVIA have moving white bars which are useful for detecting white level clipping which occurs on digital displays like LCD's. This is an effect which doesn't happen on CRT's (unless there is a scaler in front of the display). VE's older patterns don't provide a facility for detecting clipping while contrast is adjusted. You'll probably get reasonable results with VE if you already have a copy. You just won't have the better tool for digital.

5. Mike Wegimont

Will Avia tell me which tests to use for an LCD or should I just use them all?

Thanks,

Mike

6. Mike Wegimont

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

You'd start by just following the basic video calibration section. That walks you through step by step in detail. After that, it's time to search the forums for more things to do.

Yes, we know the links are broken. The entire site is due for a revamp. You're better off directly looking around the forums any way.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The bending needle test (thin upright white line on black background) and blooming test (checking for slight expansion of white rectangle) for contrast, or white level, do not apply for LCD or DLP monitors. Also adjust contrast using the gray scale steps test to make sure all the steps are distinguishable, and for personal preference.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm