What's new

Can I buy bulk cable without the connectors? (1 Viewer)

Joey Ford

Agent
In 1994 I purchased approx 100 feet of Phoenix Gold Super Triple Shielded Cable. I have a bunch of their gold interconnects and want to put them to good use. Is there a place where I can buy this "saphire blue" cable and solder my own connectors to it?

If this "old" cable is no longer available, what cable is suggested and where should I look?

FYI: I don't want the most expensive stuff, but not the cheapest. Probably mid-range to high-range.

Thanks for the input.
Joey

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Joey, I'm a bit confused here. Are you making interconnects or speaker cable? There's a PhoenixGold that makes products for car audio and I think they make blue pvc tinted wire. If that's the case try contacting them at www.phoenixgold.com and I'm sure they can put you in touch with dealers.

Joey Ford

Agent
Yes I'm talking about making interconnects. I have a bunch of these nice gold plated "RCA ends" that I want to put to use.

No one else with any ideas?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Give Belden a call. They've got some cable with pretty low capacitance values. Why they just might send you a piece on the house if you ask nicely :)

Joey Ford

Agent
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I have about 20 of these gold interconnects. This would make 10 audio cables. But I need the cable. I'm looking for approx 30 feet worth of cable.

Now, can anyone tell me where to buy cable?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Which of the two suggestions didn't you like? I don't know about your RCA's whether there are issues with inner diameter or any of that. Nor do I know what you're ultimately looking to do, make em and sell them on ebay? Do you want ultra-low capacitance cables? Looking to make them out of twisted pairs? Color's important? Get on the phone, tell them what you're looking for, they'll ask you some questions, you'll answer them, then they'll tell you what specific product they have that meets your needs and likely tell you where you can get it. Otherwise you may wind up buying your 30 feet, find it doesn't fit, doesn't look the way you want it, and you'll be SOL.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you want cable by the foot, especially such a small amount, probably your best bet it is to get it locally.

I suggest the Mars Music store at 4634 S. Cooper in Arlington. They sell cable by the foot. Good-quality Canare or Mogami mic or instrument cable works great for audio. I used a lot of it in my system (see “My Equipment,” below).

I have to warn you, though, Mars customer service sucks. It may take you 20 minutes or more to find someone who will help you. If you don’t want to deal with them you can look for a local pro-audio company. Most of them do installations and will have cable stock they will sell by the foot (although Mars will probably be cheaper).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joey Ford

Agent
Chu,

You are jumping all over the board. What is so difficult about answering where to buy patch cable, bulk cable, audio cable, rca cable, whatever you want to call it? You said go to phoenix gold, but they do not list any items like this. I was looking for an online website that sells longer lengths of audio cable for those wishing to make their own.

You think Belden is going to give me cable? I didn't ask for any particular capacitance. I simply asked where this type of product could be purchased.

Am I looking to sell on eBay? Well hell no! I could have swore that I said I have some connectors left over from a purchase several years ago and I'm wanting to build cables with them and put them to use.

Thanks for....well I don't know.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Because there's all different types Joey. Will Belden give you a sample cable? They did it for me, not 30' but enough of a few different types to play around with. Strictly based on theoretical considerations, not audible ones, I'd probably have opted for low capacitance versions, but it seems to me you really don't care. Wayne's suggestion as he's from that part of the country I'm sure will work. Bring your RCA's with you.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Joey: People ARE giving you good advice. But you need to understand a few things.
First, Belden makes about 4,000 different types of coaxial cable. About 1,500 different ones would work for audio interconnects. These are typically sold in spools of 300, 500 and 1000 feet.
There are some places that sell this stuff like:
www.markertek.com
www.partsexpress.com
Link Removed
But they sell it by the spool. Not by the foot.
Since you only need 30 feet, Chu was suggesting you contact Belden and they might send you several samples. (He really IS trying to be helpful.)
Now some people have bought spools of audio and video coax and have a internet business of building cables for people. You might contact some of these web sites and see if they will simply sell you some Belden, Canare, Mogmi coax that they have found work well for audio. (Low capacitance is favored).
Some of these sites are:
www.bluejeanscable.com
Link Removed
www.wickedcables.com
Most of these places will sell you Belden 1694A which is great for video and audio.
You might also check for posts by "Mark Rich". (use the search feature). He often recommends other model coax for audio and video use and is quite knowledgable.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I recommend Partsconnexion . Browse their online catalog, then call them to order. I've been ordering the D.H. Labs 'Silver Sonic' cable. D-75 for digital, VX-1 for video, and BL-1 for audio. All are very good cables, and run about $4.00/foot. You get a break on price when you order over 50feet.
How much are you wanting to spend, and are you wanting to make audio, video, or digital interconnects, or some of each?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks