What's new

Can I biamp speakers rated at 175w with 2 x 125wpc safely? (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Just picked up a used Carver AV-705X amp on ebay. This amp is rated at 5 X 125wpc. Will it be safe to biamp my Paradigm Monitor 7's with this amp? The 7's are rated to handle up to 175w. I will run the center with the 5th channel. My surrounds will be powered by my Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver.
Or should I power all 5 channels with this amp? The reason I want to biamp my mains is because I listen to a lot of music with mains and sub in the direct mode. Any help you can give!!;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Try it both ways and see which one you like better.

It's more dangerous to under power than to over power a speaker. Well, sort of. If you have way more power then they can handle and crank the volume then yes you will damage them. But as long as you always increase the volume while you are listening you'll get plenty of warning when you start to exceed the speakers capability.

If you under power them, you won't get any warning before the amp starts clipping, which can be very bad for the drivers.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks Dustin. Can't wait to get this amp hooked up. Since I got that PW-2200, I just felt like my main speakers need a bit more power. Did you see my post about my rear wall vibrating during the Avia sweep test??
On a personal note, I appreciate your response, glad your not p*ssed at me for a post I made several weeks ago. I just enjoy good sound!! Have a good one!;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
All that matters is if you are happy with it. The PW2200 is no slouch. But I still think you payed a little too much for it ;)

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Bi-amping can give you one of the best bang for the buck improvements in your sound. I have been a bi-amp enthusiast for 30 years or so. Once you hear the low distortion to be had from a bi-amped system, you will never want to amp full range again.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I see the benefit of active biamping. But I don't see the benefit of passive biamping vs a more powerful amp.

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to bi-amp, do it actively. An electronic crossover is easy to build, just requiring a couple of op amps. If you want to do it passively , do it ahead of the power amps.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd disagree that building a crossover is easy. Crossover design is the most difficult and most important part of a speaker. It takes some decent measuring equipment, a lot of skill and experience to design a great crossover. Just throw some stock text book design together and you won't come any where near realizing a speakers full potential.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Yes Dustin, I have read much about passive vs. active biamping. I understand that active is better. But I have also read that passive biamping greatly enhances the performance of speakers. I read where one guy actually opened up his speakers and snip, snip, disconnected the internal xover.
If some one could tell me how to active biamp, I would. Can you buy external crossovers for this application?? God I can't wait for that Carver amp to get here. Ain't upgraditis fun??;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks