Can I Bi-amp this way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Roy, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Kevin_Roy

Kevin_Roy Extra

I am running a Denon AVR-4802 and an Outlaw 750 amp. Speakers used are Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC & Studio 20's. Can I bi-amp the front and center the following way?

Tweeter and mid-range drivers on all 3 wired to the Denon. The lows handled by the Outlaw. If anyone has a better suggestion I am open to it.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I can't see a problem with it , sounds like it should work. Except maybe you might have time smear where the lower freq arrive at the speaker behind the upper freq since you are amplifing the bass with the outlaw amp. and it'll longer because it has to go from the denon to the outlaw the to the speaker instead of from the denon to the speaker, that's the only thing I can think of but it might not be a problem at all. maybe someone else can think of something else.

Daniel Smith

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I think that the outlaw is too good of an amp to try something like this with. It is superior to the Denons. Bi-amping does not always make sense. I think that this is a good case were it doesn't. Your ears are the ultimate judge.

As for any type of timing issues or frequency delivery descrepancies, they are nothing to worry about. I have never even heard of anything like that.

-rob

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Kevin_Roy

Kevin_Roy Extra

What do you guys think of Bi-Wiring off of the Outlaw or just using the Denon and getting rid of the Outlaw. I can't tell an appreciable difference between the Outlaw and the Denon. Maybe it's just me and my bad ears.

6. Rob Rodier

Depending on what you are trying to do- If I had this gear and was not satisfied with the performance, I might try to use 4 of the Outlaws amps to bi-amp the front main speakers. The 5th for the center and the denon for the rears. For music listening that would offer the largest improvement. For ht improvements you could bi-amp the center channel and then run the front speakers off the outlaw, rears from the denon. The obvious disadvantage to this is that you are only using 4 of the 5 Outlaw channels. It is also assuming that you have a center channel that is bi-wireable/ bi-ampable.

Try the different configurations out. I would give each one at least 3-4 days of listening before switching.

I honestly think the best thing to do is to biamp the fronts with the outlaw, run the center off the last channel, and then the rears off of the denaon. That should yield the largest sonic improvement. Especilly with music.

-rob

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

8. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Another question-- when you're bi-amping, are you sending a full range signal to each half of the speaker and letting the crossovers do the filtering, or are you breaking the line level signal up into high and low before the amps?

9. Rob Rodier

If you were to take the jumpers off the speakers and plug the leads into the top set of binding posts you would only hear the top half of frquencies. Vice versa on the bottom.

The signal going in is full range
    -rob