Can I beat these prices on HTPC parts??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I'm going to order components for my HTPC this week (Yeah! And there was much rejoycing)...
    Some items I couldn't really find except from one supplier (Airboard, Pioneer Slot Load in black, Etc)- so I thought I might throw up what I'm getting and what I'm paying and see if anyone knew of any alternate purchasing options which might save me a few bucks...
    Audiophile 2496 Sound
    $150 shipped
    cdbm.com
    Silitek SK-7100 Airboard Wireless Keyboard
    $54 shipped
    digitalconnection.com
    Pioneer 106S (Slot Loader)
    $73 shipped
    goroyalpc.com (to be painted black with VHT vinyl dye from summitracing.com)
    Irman infrared receiver
    $40 shipped
    evation.com
    I'm getting all my fans (case/processor) from PC Power Cooling, which offers silent fans for recording studio applications and the like.
    So are there any HTPC specials I'm missing out on out there? Did I miss a deal somewhere?
    -Vince

2. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Vince,

the only thing I can tell you about is the RAM. You could check with Buy.com about the ValueRAM by Kingston. They had a 512MB PC133 chip for 69.00 (I don't know if that's what you wanted but you didn't specify). I bought one just for the heck of it. It might be worth taking a look at it. The other stuff seems pretty darn sweet, if you ask me. Also, if you had a chance to look around today you might be able to get some good deals.

Just some thoughts.

Roy C.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

To answer your original question: I don't think so. Those are some pretty good prices there for solid parts. I agree with the larger Barracuda suggestion that Rob offered.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Dunno to be honest Vince. There's always conflicting reports going around.

The 300w QuietPC PSU is rated at < 26db if that's any help.

I also run QuietPC case fans. These are made by Zalman and though they wont push as much air through as some of the louder models, they're rated at a "Can I even hear that?" 20db.

8. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Vince,
    I've got the same video card, works great. If you want to "tweak" it a little and make it essentialy a "non-LE" model (which is twice the price), this article provides the necessary registry settings to get you there Radeon LE, you can easily adjust the clock speed with this nifty tool Power Strip.
    I also have an Epox board with Crucial DDR, also works great.
    BTW what CPU were you planning on?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have gone ahead and removed some items from my list, as I have bit the bullett and ordered many of them. The question, of course, still stands on the items above- if anyone knows a better place to buy from, please let me know!
    I'm also still very curious to hear from:
    • Anyone who has removed the faceplate from a white Pioneer 106 slot load DVD drive to dye it black, or even from any owners who might have any thoughts on how hard removal of the face panel would be.
    • Anyone who might have a suggestion regarding DD/DTS passthrough solutions other than the M-audio card and creative's line of junk.
    • Anyone who knows of a supplier for Airboard keyboards other than digitalconnection. Especially anyone cheaper [​IMG]
    -Vince

11. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

12. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

Vince --- Would you want to spend 20 bucks more for a black drive ... I'm currently working on a deal to buy 2 and I'm sure the guy wouldn't mind if I bought 3 ... I've negotiated with him to 90 bucks each and 5 for shipping and I believe he's going to accept the terms ... Let me know ...

Ohh I guess that would be 22 bucks more rather than 20 ...

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Sam,

Thanks a ton for the offer, btu I think I'll try Dying the drive first.

-Vince