What's new

Can I add an EQ to a HK 320? (1 Viewer)

JasonWW

Agent
The Harman Kardon AVR 320 has 6 channel inputs AND pre-amp outputs. I'm thinking I could, at the very least, use the pre-amp out for the left and right channels to go to a 2 channel equalizer and then output that to the receivers inputs. The other 4 channels could be simply looped from the outs to the ins. This way the most important speakers can be tweaked for better sound. I think this would work for all the music sources, DVD, CD and radio.

Does this sound like a good way to get better sound?

Does anyone know if this would work?

I only have a Panasonic CT-32HX40 and Toshiba 4800 DVD player at the moment and am looking for an anchor point for the sound side of things.

Jason

Jim J

Second Unit
uumm Sorry Jason,
I do not believe that would work.

In order to hear what is coming in on your 6channel inputs, you need to select that input (you can't select DVD, or CD, whatever). The pre-outs are going to output what-ever you select. This is a loop that will not work.

Your best option if you really have your heart set on using an EQ for your left and right mains, is to get another amp. l/r pre-out to your eq, the the EQ's output to the external amp, then to your speakers.

Had you gotten the 520, you could do what you want without the extrenal amp

Good Luck

JasonWW

Agent
Remember, I only have the TV and DVD. I wanted to get more info before I bought a receiver. I was originally considering the HK 225 but found a good price at J+R for the 320. I don't think I can spend much more than $500 or so.

Why can the 520 do this and not the 320?

Later I might want to add a second EQ. One channel for the center and the other for the sub. So would the 520 keep me from having to buy 2 or 3 more amp channels? If so, maybe I can justify getting the 520.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Jason,

The 5 series can do this because it has Main Ins located right below the preouts. This allows the use of separate processors such as equalizers, preamps, even other receivers. IMO this is perhaps the killer (as in dealmaker) feature of these receivers over anything else. When it's time to upgrade processing-wise, you can still use them as a 5 channel amp.

This used to be a more common practice and was found on many different models of a certain price/performance class. Nowadays it is getting to be a rarity unless one is moving up to near-flagship to flagship level. The 320, while quite powerful, apparently does not reach the performance level that H/K requires for stand-alone amp status.

The only way other than that already suggested to get EQ into the 320 system is to use it with source audio components like CD or DVD used for CD play. It won't be whole system use but can help if you're trying to improve Music.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
" This allows the use of separate processors such as
equalizers, preamps, even other receivers. IMO this is perhaps the killer (as in dealmaker) feature of these receivers over anything
else. When it's time to upgrade processing-wise, you can still use them as a 5 channel amp. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it does come time to upgrade processor-wise, couldn't you run your Cd/DVD into your new pre-processor, then pre-processor to 6 channel inputs, then set the AVR 320 to read the 6 channel inputs then use the ampified 6 channel outputs to drive the speakers, in effect using the AVR 320 as a standalone amplifier? I know this doesn't solve the original question but for the sake of curiostiy, it can be used as a standalone amp, right?

JasonWW

Agent
Well, I've moved on to the 520. I think it's more in line with what I want to do.

About the above question, The 320 can't be used as a real stand alone amp because it has no inputs directly to the amp circuitry, right? It's direct inputs go through the processors circuitry then to the amps, right?

It wouldn't really work for what I want to do, but it could be used "kinda" like an amp. Just set the processor controls to a flat kind of output (no soundfields or tone control). Am I right about all this?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Shion and Jason,

As the H/K nulls all internal processing when 6 channel input is selected and effectively simply acts as an amplifier...your suggestion could work. Of course, you would still be limited to 5.1 and would need to be running other channel requirements from the new preamp-pre/pro to other amp sourcing. And there would also likely be volume control issues...along with the fact that 6 channel input is strictly analog.

Clumsy, yes, but it could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks