Can geometry be adjusted on a regular tube tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Mayrand, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

Quite a basic question, but i'm really not sure. Can it be adjusted trough the service menu? Or is it a done deal?

2. Robert Mayrand

I can't believe no one can answer my question? Can it be done or not?

Rob

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Yes, you can adjust basic geometry on most DV sets.

4. Robert Mayrand

Thanks Bill,

Is there some place on the net where I can get more info about adjusting geometry? Is this a tricky procedure or is it quite straight forward?

Thanks again

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

It is pretty straighforward, but you need to access your service menu which I am not quite sure the manafacture easily tells you how. Depending on what kind of set it is, someone here might know how to get into it.

6. Robert Mayrand

This is for my samsung txl3676. I know how to get into the service menu but I don't know what value affect the geometry and exactly what to do. The side of the screen deform pretty badly vertical line. A vertical line will not only bend.....it bends outward in the middle and bend the other way on top and bottom wich produce quite a strange effect. On 16:9 materiel this effect start at the first 25% on each side of the screen.

Rob

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can adjust geometry but unfortunately too often you can't adjust it far enough to your liking. Different sets have different adjustment methods, sometimes in the service menu, sometimes by moving rings or collars on the back of the picture tube(s).
    Also adjusting geometry can throw off the convergence and vice versa, requiring back and forth repeated adjustments to get everthing reasonably correct.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm