1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Can flipping a shadow mask tube cause damage?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BryanEB, Nov 6, 2002.

1. BryanEB

BryanEB Agent

I just found this thread, in which a guy claims that rotating a shadow mask tube 90 or 180 degrees can cause serious damage.
    Anyone know if there's any truth to this? I just had my TV delivered and they flipped it 90 degrees to take it out of the box. I haven't used it yet, as I have to take the doors off my entertainment center so it'll fit.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

So long as it is treated gently there should be no problem.
    Shadow mask deformation shows up as: After degaussing, when playing a solid red frame, such as on AVIA or Video Essentials test disk, the screen shows splotches of other colors, same for a solid green frame, etc. For different colored frames, the off color splotches will be the same shape and size and position but in different colors.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Quite seriously, I would have requested that the delivery people tear down the box around the unit. I would forbid them to do anything like that to an RPTV of mine.

4. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

On my tv, splotches show up when it is on a red frame. The tv was rotated by the people that delivered it. It is a KV-34XBR800, what should be done? I called service people out to look at it but they could not locate me even though I was giving them perfect instructions over the phone AND were given a speeding ticket at one point by the police. They also never stopped cussing!

I will either not be calling them again (it was through Circuit City with my warranty) or will call again and ask for a different person to come out!

But in the meantime, any tips for what I should be doing?

5. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry. It's better to deal with them in person I think. Mabie they could they give you a ride to your home while you give them directions inside their automobile. Some people try the tv before they accept a delevery but I have never tried it. You should be alright with CC.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Jack is quite right. The way to do it is to cut around the bottom of the box and lift the box off the TV. Turning an RPTV on its side is just asking for trouble.

Jan

7. BryanEB

BryanEB Agent

Just to be clear, I don't have an RPTV. It's a direct view (JVC AV-36P903), if that changes the answer at all.

Bryan