Can Energy C-R3 surround speakers be used as all

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Darcy, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Darcy

Darcy Auditioning

five speakers in a 5.1 setup - i.e three fronts and two rears. My reasons for this are that the semi-circular flat shape of these speakers would make them quite unobtrusive and attractive surrounding a plasma TV.

My room is reasonably large (27"x21" with 12" ceilings). I have thought about in-walls (as I am currently renovating) but would lose flexibility and maybe sound quality.

You're all probably thinking with a room that big why not get normal speakers? Well, basically its a wife and two toddler thing.

By the way I love listening to music although I am not an audiophile (if this helps.

Anyway, all thoughts, advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Darcy

2. MikeKeck

MikeKeck Extra

Well I use the C-R3's as rears and they sound great, and suprisingly can handle low frequencies pretty well (dont expect to much compared to regular mains or a subb), but I dont know how they would handle being cranked up as fronts..

3. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

One time I experimented with my CR3s as bookshelves in a stereo set-up. They sounded OK, but their performance was that of a smaller bookshelf, i.e. not a lot of guts. When the bi or di-pole settings were on, their imaging wasn't precise (no surprise there) so I didn't feel they projected a great soundstage.