What's new

Can either of these do 'the squeeze?' (RP82 & Tosh 27") (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
While I'm trying to lower my budget to make room for an SVSub, I've dropped the idea of getting a Samsung 27" HDTV and am looking at a Toshiba 27" FST. Also, the options included with the Panasonic RP82 has sold me.
Anywho, I've read nothing about a squeeze function with the Toshiba 27AF42. Does anyone know if indeed this set can do the squeeze, or if possibly this DVD player can do it? I've haven't heard of a DVD doing this, and I don't know if it's possible.
Thanks for any help.
(BTW, I'm interested in Toshiba because of recommendation and wholesale pricing :) )

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Adam:

• I would recommend going for the Samsung HD-capable set. You should buy into new technology.

• Not sure if the 27AF42 can do the 16:9 raster-collapse "squeeze" from the user menu or not, but it certainly can be performed from the service menu. Further, it is strictly NTSC technology, whereas the Samsung incorporates ATSC technology and can therefore do so much more.

• All DVD-Video players on the market can output a native 16:9 image. (The squeeze occurs on a 4:3-native display, when all scanning lines are compressed into a 16:9 window.)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info and opinion, Jack. I'll hold off making any decisions and weigh my apples again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks