can dvds suffer from color push problems like a tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jun 13, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

This is a question for the technical gurus out there. Can certain dvd players overemphasize red green or blue like a tv's color decoder might do? In other words, what exactly happens when the player converts the digital MPEG encoding to an analog signal and then sends it out over the component cable? Is it possible for the dvd player, for example, to suffer red push due to a bias in its conversion algorithm?
    thanks,
    --tom

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

This is a bump [​IMG] just to mention that my subject line should read "dvd players" not dvds as in the actual discs.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Yes it's possible, but who would do it? Red push in a DVD player would just exacerbate the problem since most TVs already have red push. Then the DVD player would stand out from the others as too red and wouldn't sell.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Stephen, I was really wondering if anyone had information on dvd players that may error more than others when outputing Y, Pb, Pr. For example, at the following technical review of the sd-1600, they say that it outputs Y hot across the board.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-2-2001.html
    Now, I guess I'm wondering what exactly does that mean. Does it mean that the Y signal is too strong? If a player was too "hot" on the Pb or Pr outs would that mean they were overemphasizing red or blue or does it mean something completely different?
    cheers,
    --tom