Can DVDs be made on the pocket sized 3" discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob FM, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Does such a thing exist? I have looked and have not found any "pre-made" or DVD-R type like this.

Just curious. Since the Pocket Cds are so cool, I've been using them more and more.

~Rob

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The DVD spec lists both 12cm and 8cm discs. I've never seen any 8cm discs though.

DVD-1 (8 cm, SS/SL) 1.36 gig (1.46 BB), about half an hour

DVD-2 (8 cm, SS/DL) 2.47 gig (2.66 BB), about 1.3 hours

DVD-3 (8 cm, DS/SL) 2.72 gig (2.92 BB), about 1.4 hours

DVD-4 (8 cm, DS/DL) 4.95 gig (5.32 BB), about 2.5 hours

3. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember where, but I did see some 3" DVD-R media at an online store.
    Also, DVD Angle has a good article on the format.
    The format is called DVD-mini for the 8cm DVD, not to be confused with the term mini-DVD, which is DVD data recorded on a CD-R.
    The Nintendo Gamecube also uses these discs for their games.

4. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

I know in Japan that 8cm CD's are the popular format for release singles on. I'd imagine that Japan would also use 8cm DVD's when DVD Audio singles come out. I've never seen 8cm CD's or DVD's in the U.S. though.

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

One minor correction here - the discs for the Nintendo Gamecube, while being substantially similiar to DVD-mini discs, have been customised to make them unreadable (hence uncopyable) by normal DVD drives. There are other steps as well, but the big one is that they reversed the directions of the spirals: the data in layer 1 is from the outside-in and layer 2 is inside-out, rather than the other way round. This also maximises the data read rate at the beginning of the disc for added performance.

6. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hey, thanks guys...I guess they are out there -cool!
    Blood:The First Vampire -on DVD-mini
    The article at "Dvdangle" was very informative, and I've printed it out for future reference...
    [​IMG]
    ~Rob

7. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the correction; I didn't know about the spiral reversal on the Gamecube discs.

An interesting application of these DVD-minis might be TV show singles; DVD-1 for a half-hour program and DVD-2 for hour long shows.

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I got a demo 3" DVD from WAMO last year as part of the promotion of the DVD format. Do a search on this forums search feature for "The new 3" DVD from WAMO; it's cool".Also when 3" CD's came out back in the late 80's, I remember DMP and Audio magazine put together a 3" promo CD with DMP artists. Also Delos (classical music label) had a 3" sampler release.

Warner, Enigma, MCA, Rhino and CBS were the only companies that I knew of that actually sold the 3" cd's to the public.

They were really cool but were useless for playing in cars since auto CD players typically use slot loading.

When these discs came out, Shape Optimedia and Sony supplied adapters for playing the 3" discs on players without the concentric indentation in the player drawer.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Did you see the price? $59 for a 5-pack!

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've read that Apple's DVD-R media are just rebranded Pioneer discs. You can get a 5-pack for $25 at store.apple.com. The next time I need to buy some, I'll try them. Right now I still have plenty of my initial batch of Pioneer brand that I bought with my A03.