Can DVD-ROMS Play PAL and All Regions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonS, Aug 18, 2002.

1. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new laptop that has a dvd player in it. I was wondering if I could play PAL and other region dvds on it. Thanks

2. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

You'll probably need to flash the firmware of the DVD drive http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/ (WARNING - IF INCORRECTLY PERFORMED, YOU'LL BE LEFT WITH AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT) and download a utility like DVD Region Killer or DVD Genie.

3. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I also thought my PC would play multi-region PAL dvd's. After I got my multi-code dvd player I tried to play a PAL R2 dvd in my PC. A window prompted me to change the current region to 2. Here is the catch, it said that I have four tries left after I change the current region number. So lets say I wanted to watch four more R2 or any other region dvd's, after the fourth change my DVD-ROM drive would lock to the last current region, say 2. It also said re-loading the program or changing the DVD-ROM drive to another PC would not-unlock the region. This is why you need to download or buy some software.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

flash your firmware and you're okey-day
    At one point I was actually considering buying 4 DVD ROMs for region 1-4 [​IMG]

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I use DVD Genie to play discs from any region on my DVD player, with no problems. Why would one need to flash his firmware?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Because any drive made after 2000 is hard wired to lock to a certain region after 5 changes.

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Under XP you're probably going to have to do both. There are two ways software handle region changes, stuff like WinDVD is coded into the software itself, while other software like CinePlayer uses the system key.

So you should flash your firmware region free if you have one available, and then use DVD Region Killer or DVD Genie depending upon what software you use. A pain, but it works.

8. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

9. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

You should be able to play R0 PAL discs straight out the box