Can DVD discs melt?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm not willing to risk it at all, but the slight chance where I buy a DVD on a break from work, don't have time to go home and drop it off, and have to leave it in the car (under the seat, away from sunlight), will a DVD melt?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would not recommend doing that in the summertime when a car's internal temperature reahces 120-130F.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can't you take it inside to the work place?

The disc won't "melt" per se, but warpage is a real possibility at the temps Neil mentions. If you must leave it in the car, definitely crack the windows a bit.

4. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

6. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic, so yes, if its hot enough.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Many businesses won't let employees bring DVDs or CDs into their place of work these days, even wrapped up and so forth, for the reason that they don't want employees watching films or listening to music on the PC drives while they are supposed to be working.
    My place of business has instructions that security is to confiscate all discs that are attempted to bring into the office. A manager must issue you a pass for an exception.
    An allowable exception would NOT be for the reasons mentioned, usually. [​IMG]
    Many businesses are adopting policies of this nature; I saw a recent Human Resources "trade publication" (the HR mgr sits near me) that actually had an article on how to implement policies of this nature, and what the roll-out expectations are. It named a long list of companies - none of whom come to mind right now - that have started using this philosophy! [​IMG]

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

If you want to test it, I think CDs are made out of the same material. Just get some AOL CDs and stick them in various places in your car and see if they melt or even warp.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

At Target, where I work... we have lockers in the back room where you can store merchandise that you buy in the store (after security checks your receipt) until you leave [​IMG]

10. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I never thought of bringing it in to work. Thanks for the suggestions.