Can DTS be downmixed to two channels through the reciever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eric_c_lai, Mar 11, 2002.

1. eric_c_lai

eric_c_lai Auditioning

Title pretty much says it all.

I have a DVD player passing through the coax out, the DTS stream into the receiver. Will I hear just the two front channels? Or will the processor downmix the entire bit into two channel PCM?

Or will I hear nothing?

Or, worse yet, will I hear speaking breaking noise?

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The question is confusing. Does your receiver have DTS decoding? If so, you'll hear it through whatever speakers you have connected. If you don't have all 5 speakers, plus a subwoofer, the receiver may or may not have the capacity to do a downmix but the downmix won't be to "PCM", which is simply another digital format.

If your receiver doesn't have DTS decoding, then why would you want to send it a DTS signal? And yes, doing so risks damage to your system.

M.

3. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DVD player DVP-C670D, It can convert a DTS signal to a two channel signal (im not sure exactly what that signal is but is is not DTS - my amp has no DTS decoder but it can play the 2 channel signal).

To do this I set the DTS to off/downmix (cant remeber which one) on the DVD player, and then select the DTS track from the audio menu on the DVD.

I dont know of any receivers that can downmix DTS but you can try looking in the DVD player setup menu.

If your player doesnt have the downmix feature you will only get the front L & R channels (I am assuming you only have two speakers).

Harry.

4. eric_c_lai

eric_c_lai Auditioning

oops I should clarify

I have a pioneer dv-440 outputting a DTS signal through the digital coaxial to my Denon 1602. The music is coming out through a pair of Paradigm Titans.

I'm getting music, question is: is it just the fronts or is it the entire 5.1 downmixed to two channels?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about Denon amps but this works with my Yamaha in dolby digital mode, change youy receiver mode from DD 5.1 to effect off and still have a 5.1 DD signal coming from the DVD I get all 5 channels through the main L/R speakers, not sure about the .1 channel. I dont know if this will work with DTS on your Denon, but you could try it.

Alternatively, go into the speaker setup section on the amp and see if you can select 'none' for the rears and center - this should give the same results.

Harry.