1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can D-VHS record ANY HD content you want?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

This might be a pretty basic question, but I understand that D-VHS can record HD content. Is one able to record HD movies off of the HD versions of HBO and Showtime, or just certain HD content from the networks? Is there some kind of flag in the HD broadcast that can stop you from recording it?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    D-VHS (the JVC D Theater deck) can record a HD signal that is feed to it via the DVI input. The signal can be flagged to allow for recording of 1080i, or can signal the deck to down convert to 480P. There are currently no HD receivers that output a DVI signal. Perhaps soon?

On a side note, there ia a hack available to add a DVI output to the RCA DTC-100 (as I understand it).

Regards

Gregg

3. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

Gregg

Can you elaborate a little further on this. From what you said, my understanding is that at the moment, I cannot record HD material from any Satellite receivers. SO how do some people record HD programs OTA? Does the OTA antenna connect to the DVI input of the D-VHS?