What's new

can bose cubes be used for surround sound? (1 Viewer)

ChadRS

Auditioning
I have a Bose Acoustimass setup being used for my computer, and I'd like to use them for my surround sound speakers. I realize that the cubes and the sub go together, but is is safe to hook the cubes straight to the surround output on the receiver? I'd like to use the sub with the sub output.

Also, if not, would it detract from the sound at all if I hooked them up through the sub and then into the surround outs? I imagine the sub wouldnt get used much, but it's a small consolation

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I have had a Bose Acoustimass system myself with the two cubes and the acoustimess module. As for attaching it without the acoustimess module I don't know if it would work or not but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Either way they won't sound good at all because they are so small they don't really cover a good range or frequency without the module attached to them as well.

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
DO NOT connect the acoustimass cubes directly to your amp as the unchecked power will drive them into distortion causing them to blow.

Similarly the Bose bass unit (it's not really a subwoofer) is not up to the duties of a proper Sub and will not go low enough.

If you must use the Bose satellites for surround at least connect them to the Bose bass unit so that you get a decent frequency range and buy a separate, proper Subwoofer

Arakal

Auditioning
Hi,

I have connected AVR-3802 to my mains Deftech BP2006TL which has built-in active sub-woofer (250 wts). This is in addition to the bose AM-15 that I have. Can I use a Y connector on my receiver sub out to connect both the LFE input on BP2006TL L+R. Or should I leave the low frequencies to Bose bass module?. Till now I had connected the sub-out on the receiver to the AM bass module. I think I am doing something wrong. Also please let me know the crossover freq..I have 3 settings 80/100/120. Which would be the best ? My LFE setting on the receiver has 2 modes LFE and LFE+Mains. which should be selected for optimum effect. Kindly revert ;)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
DO NOT connect the acoustimass cubes directly to your amp as the unchecked power will drive them into distortion causing them to blow.
I built a DIY Bose system a while ago when Allcorp.com had the 2.5" drivers closeout for $7 each (When Bose switched cube designs). I'm not sure what the physical differences in my design versus theirs are, but I've got them running at 4 ohms (2 8ohm drivers), hooked directly to the my HT receiver and have had no problems.

That is, other than the crappy lack of midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks