can bose cubes be used for surround sound?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChadRS, Aug 31, 2003.

1. ChadRS

ChadRS Auditioning

I have a Bose Acoustimass setup being used for my computer, and I'd like to use them for my surround sound speakers. I realize that the cubes and the sub go together, but is is safe to hook the cubes straight to the surround output on the receiver? I'd like to use the sub with the sub output.

Also, if not, would it detract from the sound at all if I hooked them up through the sub and then into the surround outs? I imagine the sub wouldnt get used much, but it's a small consolation

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I have had a Bose Acoustimass system myself with the two cubes and the acoustimess module. As for attaching it without the acoustimess module I don't know if it would work or not but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Either way they won't sound good at all because they are so small they don't really cover a good range or frequency without the module attached to them as well.

3. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

DO NOT connect the acoustimass cubes directly to your amp as the unchecked power will drive them into distortion causing them to blow.

Similarly the Bose bass unit (it's not really a subwoofer) is not up to the duties of a proper Sub and will not go low enough.

If you must use the Bose satellites for surround at least connect them to the Bose bass unit so that you get a decent frequency range and buy a separate, proper Subwoofer

4. Arakal

Arakal Auditioning

Hi,

I have connected AVR-3802 to my mains Deftech BP2006TL which has built-in active sub-woofer (250 wts). This is in addition to the bose AM-15 that I have. Can I use a Y connector on my receiver sub out to connect both the LFE input on BP2006TL L+R. Or should I leave the low frequencies to Bose bass module?. Till now I had connected the sub-out on the receiver to the AM bass module. I think I am doing something wrong. Also please let me know the crossover freq..I have 3 settings 80/100/120. Which would be the best ? My LFE setting on the receiver has 2 modes LFE and LFE+Mains. which should be selected for optimum effect. Kindly revert [​IMG]

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator