What's new

can bookshelfs speakers work well in surround????? (1 Viewer)

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
i see the word bookshelf alot is there a difference in these speakers and full standing speakers for a home theater system?????? besides price

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yup.
"Bookshelf" usually means 2-way, less than 15" or so high.
Some Bookshelf speakers are very, very small. Some are very large.
Baisically anything that works best on a stand is a bookshelf speaker.
No, I don't mean 5-inch JBL 100-type stands, either...:D
Usually....

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I use "bookshelf" speakers for my rears and am very pleased. You should have no problem.

Dan Hine

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I use 2 pair of bookshelf speakers for my rears in my 7.1 setup......and they sound great.

I am currently looking for a couple pair of "dipole" design speakers to replace them....but I'm not sure if it will give me an improvement or not.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
For Home Theater use bookshelves with a sub is more than adequate. Go with what you like and can afford, and get sand-fillable stands for them. When you finally get around to adding a sub, most of the difference between the bookshelf speaker and the floor stander will be negated.
Beautiful sound, of course, is in the ear of the "be-listener!" :D
Good luck!
Pete

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
bookshelf for fronts? no problem. majority of bookshelf speakers have lower power rating than towers so it will depend on the size of your room and how loud you intend to listen. also, you will really need a good subwoofer to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks