Can black level just change?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have the Hitachi 43UWX10b, calibrated with Avia (on a Panny RP-56 DVD) and rechecked on a weekly basis. My settings thus far have been (with all auto color, noise reduction, etc. off):
    CONTRAST - 30
    BRIGHTNESS - 55
    COLOR - 40
    TINT - +2 green
    SHARPNESS - 20

I went out of town, came back three days later, turned on my set and noticed that everything looked washed out. The only thing I had done was pull the TV away from the wall to reconnect my X-Box. So I recalibrated, and now my settings are:
    CONTRAST - 30
    BRIGHTNESS - 46
    COLOR - 41
    TINT - +2 green
    SHARPNESS - 20

So is this just something that happens? It seems odd to me that my black level would change that much. It isn't just for one source, since it looked washed out on DVD, cable and X-Box. I'm just concerned that this could be a sign of a bad unit or some impending doom. Of course, I may be paranoid because this is the third 43UWX10b I've had since my original purchase. Is this just something that happens with break-in? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jeremy,

I had a 53UWX10B for a few weeks last fall. If I remember correctly it had some sort of black level enhancement item in the user menu, made blacks blacker. Is there any chance this setting may have accidentally been changed? This would possibly account for the change in black level.

On my set I was frequently adjusting the "screen" trimpots in an effort to get rid of a nasty green tint in the dark end of the grayscale. I noticed that after messing with these my calibrated brightness setting would change by as much as 8 or 10%. I never did get rid of the green thing so swapped for another brand, which I have been very happy with.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I don't use the Enhanced Black Level feature, so that can't be the culprit. It says it makes blacks blacker, but really all it's doing is analyzing the picture to increase the range of blacks (which creates a really wierd fading in and out effect on movies with changing contrasts or styles). It's a useless feature. As I said, auto color, perfect picture, noise reduction, enhanced blacks, and SVM are all turned off. Color temp set to warm, TV set to NEWS mode (not MOVIE, because my RP56 already does the 3:2 pulldown), screen set to 540p, calibrated with Avia.

I've double-checked all the other settings on the TV, and nothing was different from before I left town. But sure enough, where 55 gave me perfect black level before, 46 gives it now. I don't understand why that would change. Don't get me wrong -- the picture looks fantastic and I haven't touched any of the trimpots or even done a manual convergence on it. I'm just concerned, since it seems like a rather large change with no apparent explanation.