What's new

Can Bass make you feel sick? (1 Viewer)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Brent,
I only borrowed the thing to Eval it... and quite the sub it is. Infact to much I think for my room... It makes my projector jump!!!!
Miles

Sania M

Agent
Sean,
Don't get worked up. I apologize. I shouldn't have gone as far as "garbage." My freshman yr I experimented w/ all the subs from Circuit City and Best Buy, the electronics gods. I really liked bloated and boomy bass where it was just below the flatulence barrier. I liked it. I kept upgrading. I started w/ the lowest end Aiwa sub to match my HT Bookshelf for my dorm room. I then moved to Sony cause they are sony. Then Velodyne then JBL. They all sounded bad. I believe the Velodyne sub is the only one they still sell. The rest have been upgraded at least cosmetically. I spent three months w/ the Aiwa and under two weeks w/ the rest. They may have sounded bad b/c they were getting their output from a Aiwa Bookshelf? However, if I hear a sub fart multiple times that's it for the sub. Again, it was probably the Aiwa BS system. Live and learn. I hear the new Sony SAW 40 something is really good. I rec'd it to a couple of friends b/c we have mutual friend at all the local electronics places. Some subs are not so good though. No moatter how you reinforce, place, or set the phase if it has one, it will still sound bad. 3 yrs ago I hit a big streak of those. Edited my self-righteous rant after this. It was pointless.
[Edited last by Sania M on November 11, 2001 at 07:11 PM]
[Edited last by Sania M on November 11, 2001 at 07:12 PM]
[Edited last by Sania M on November 11, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Andrew,
That article is flat out awesome reading!
Yes low frequencies CAN make you ill and can kill you.
I can speak from experiance on the illness side of ulta
low frequencies. I helped install a system into my best
friends car which was a Dodge Daytona. The system was not
anything spectacular but something we did in the process
of making the box, coupled with the interior design of the
Daytona's hatch back glass caused excessive ultra low reverberation
To the point of illness at anything past 1/2 volume. We had
numerous other people test the theory and all became ill.
Absolutely dangerous!
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Sania,
Don't worry about it. Maybe I shouldn't have used the "mad" face.
While the Sony SA-WM40 is a decent cheap sub, it is no match for the JBL PB-12 or any of the 12" Velo's!
But another thread another time, now we're talking about ill inducing bass!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Randy G

Second Unit
Andrew,
I'll try to dig up the info from my files, but I distinctly remember reading that all that stuff about infrasonic engine/weapons is just a big steaming pile of .... I remember that the energy required to produce those types of sonic waves was so ridiculously outlandish, that it would have made more sense to use it in other, more direct ways. Don't you think the army would have used these principles in some of our most recent wars? Yes, loud and deep bass can make you feel ill, but to kill, well....I'll try to find the info.
------------------

Randy G

Second Unit
Ron,
So, have you made any official announcements about the 25-31 PC Ultra yet?
I just love doing that.
------------------

Sania M

Agent
Ron,
Put me on the list for the buy one get one free Christmas sale or was it the 50% off sale. Either way I'll take a 20-39 CS. Thanks.
Can bass cure your sickness?
Now picture someone constipated sitting on their sub trying to loosen up the old stools, hehe?
[Edited last by Sania M on November 11, 2001 at 08:38 PM]

Nick P

Second Unit
Chris PC,
I seem to remember reading something several months ago, maybe even a thread here at HTF, that said low clean bass is actually the safest frequency to listen to at loud volumes. It's the high frequencies that cause hearing loss. Rock stars go deaf from the screaching guitars, not the kick drums.
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I know Randy and I have talked about this before, but a 6Hz sine wave has been referred to as the "brown" note. That's the resonant frequency of the human bowels! Reminds me of the "Oops I crapped my pants" undergarments from SNL!
Brian
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
They've also found the purring of cats is related to internal healing issues. I think the housecat was about 44hz...and the big puma type kittys hit 25-27hz. I've also heard that this is being tested on the elderly to promote the healing process.
TV

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
In my younger days of being a car audio freek, I remember sitting in Ricky Marsh's Firebird that was a DB machine, 6 - 18" Black Widows. After listening to Bach Busters Tecata for about 10 minutes, I got out of the car and my kidneys hurt for about 3 hours.
If you are looking for a base heavy CD that you can test your system and also enjoy listening to normal levels, find it. TelArc put it out in the mid 80's.

RossB

Grip
For some reason I was researching the natural harmonic frequencies of objects. I highly recommend that you don't try this at home. During my research I stumbled on an article about car sickness and natural harmonic resonance.
You can calculate a humans natural harmonic frequency, and you calculate a vehicles natural harmonic frequency. If the two are similiar it turns out that there is a very high likelyhood that you will get motion sickness. These harmonic frequencies are at the lower end of audible spectrum ( under 100 HZ generally).
If you apply this to home theater it makes sense that if you get a sustained signal in the range of your bodies natural harmonic resonating frequency, well it could make you feel an effect similiar to motion sickness. So if anyone believes this...well the simple answer is yes
Well at least in theory...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks