Can basement Apt handle Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacey, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I have a quick question about Basement Apartments and Subwoofers.

Is it possible to get a sub for a basement apartment and not get evicted because of the massive base?

Right now my meager system puts out quite alot of base and as it is I worry that the extra bass added by a sub would push my neighbours over the edge.

My floors are concrete covered with carpet and I have quite a large living room 12 x 24 feet appx. that is joined directly to the kitchen.

If you think a sub would be possible could you give brand names/sizes you think would work?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You have one of the best case scenerios for a sub in an apartment. Every apartment is built differently, so it is hard to say exactly how loud you can be. You should be able to use any sub at low to normal levels. But remember, sub frequencies travel in all directions. You will not be able to play anything loud, or the people upstairs will hear it. Just be considerate. Try to keep the volume lower late at night when people might be sleeping. Also, try to get to know your neighbors. Let them know what you have and if it bothers them that you will turn it down immediatly. They will be the best at helping you know what is acceptable.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

You should have little chat with your neighbour before you buy a 'serious' sub. I prepped my new neighbour weeks before i got an SVS sub since we share a common wall. Fortunately, he doesn't hear a thing even when i play movies/music at the loudest level comfortable for me! I was extremely concerned before but now there's no problem and i know my neighbour better.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Anothering thing to keep in mind is that good quality bass isn't anywhere near as annoying as boomboxes (unless you love techno, no matter what sub you have, that stuff gets very annoying).
    I'll use my house as an example (built in mid 1950s). I'm upstairs with my big Tempest sonosub. My one roommate is downstairs with the Dayton DVC12" sonosub I built him. My sub is striaght above, about 4' infront and 4' to the left of where he sits at his computer in his room. His sub is directly below where my computer is in my room. We both spend a lot of time at our computers :p) The 3rd roommate has a JVC MX500 boom box. His room is in the basement and on the opposite side of the house from both of us.
    We both find the MX500 boom box to be extremely annoying in comparison to either of the much more capable and better sounding sonosubs. With two exceptions, really loud movies (both sonosubs really shake and rattle things then) and when the sonosub roommate is listening to techno with it's incesant thump every 1/8th of a second [​IMG]