1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Can auto glass spontaneously explode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I ask this because I was planning on running some errands this afternoon and was greeted by my driver side window shattered. The weird thing is that if someone did break the glass, they didn't take anything of "value" from the car, like a cordless power drill and extra battery, or my MP3/CD player. The door wasn't even unlocked. My neighbor thinks the glass just gave up the ghost, but the temperature changes in the past few days have swung from the mid 30's to the mid 70's. So, I'm confused as to how or why.

It was so much fun cleaning out the driveway and the car for little bits of glass all over the place. I did use this incident as an excuse to finally buy a shop-vac.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Sherlock Holmes hat on: Was there more broken glass *inside* or *outside* of the car? If it was inside, then I'd say that somebody broke it.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sorry, Patrick, I don't have any insight about the glass....

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I guess more of the glass was on the seat than outside, but then I have to ask WHY? Maybe some kids vandalized the car, and got scared by something and ran away without looting my car. It's just a hassle to have to clean up and get the glass replaced. Of course, having this happen on a Saturday is the worst time because no auto-glass/collision shop near me is open on the weekends (I checked 5 placed this afternoon).

My car was parked on my driveway, so it wasn't a drive-by.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I bought the same exact Rigid 5 HP 12 gallon shop vac that Vince bought (but mine came with a free hand vac) for $70 at Home Depot.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Any rocks laying around? Maybe some punk through a rock through it.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nope, no rocks (haven't come across a pellet if it were from a pellet gun) were found around the car.

8. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Maybe one of your neighbor kids with a baseball?

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

10. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

It is certainly not unheard of for glass to break due to changes in temperature. I know of at least a few people who have experienced this with their windows at home and in automobiles. However only a 40 degree swing in temperature is kinda strange. I would think it would take a much larger swing in temperature to break a window, but I am sure stranger things have happened.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was at China Lake Naval Airbase with not a person or thing (except rats) for 30 miles around. A guy left his windows up and the car was in the sun for a couple of hours.
    The windshield blew like someone shot it
    It was about 115 F.

12. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Spontaneous glass explosion happenned to me once. It actually happened while I was in the car. I had jusr entered the car, which was sitting in the driveway (in the hot Texas sun), and all I did was pull the car into the garage. As soon as I shut off the engine, the left rear window shattered into a million pieces. When I had it repaired, the glass guy said it happens more often than people think

13. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It can happen spontaneously, and it probably is temperature related. I've seen it happen to a mini-van and a pickup truck.

14. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yep. I was in a car when it happened 12 years ago. It happened when my wife had just fixed her rear window defroster by super-gluing the wire back onto the contact on the window. It was freezing cold outside and a few minutes after turning on the defroster, BOOM.

15. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    LOL...now I'm going to be nervous turning on the rear window defroster on especially cold winter days.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Is this a problem only on US automaker designed cars? Could be a manufacturing "flaw" that saved them a few pennies per window...

17. Wayne Bundrick

Patrick and I are in Georgia, BrianW is in Texas. It gets damn hot in Georgia and Texas. I don't think the occasional spontaneously shattering window is a manufacturing flaw any more than the inevitable cracked dashboards that I'm sure all three of us have also experienced.

18. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

For those interested,
    About 10 years ago our patio door just up and cracked...BIG TIME. It didn't shatter, but for an hour or so (until the glass people came) we watched the cracks go zing, zing in every direction.
    To the best of my knowledge, they had never seen anything like it. This happened in the early evening and the patio door faced to the west. It was chalked up to the conditions (temperature-wise) being just right for this to happen. [​IMG]

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my sister had a rear window shatter on her once, it was kinda cold out, and she drove for about a block when it just broke.
    my roommate had her driver's side window busted out a couple weeks ago, but nothing was stolen. The car next to her's got beat to shit though. I think it was the local auto glass shops trying to stir up business [​IMG]

20. Wayne Bundrick

My dad got a gun cabinet with a glass door that was etched with pictures of ducks or pheasants or some other game bird, and about a day after he got it the glass just cracked from top to bottom.

I think for automobiles it can be more than just temperature shifts that contribute to causing a window to shatter. These days the doors are sealed very tightly so there is a surge in air pressure when a door is closed. That puts stress on the windows. Plus, there's the vibration from driving. Someone told me that he was sitting in his pickup truck in a parking lot as a storm approached and the back window shattered from a very close crack of thunder. The quick drop in temperature followed by the concussion wave of the thunder probably caused it.