Can anything be done about the Chroma Bug??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyH, Feb 25, 2002.

1. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

I've got a NAD t=531 that shows the "chroma bug" on my new Panasonic. Can Nad do anything internally to fix this?

Firmware or otherwise? Am I correct in saying that this problem is caused by the MPEG decoder? So would they have to switch to a new decoder or are there other ways they can tame the bug??

Thanks!

Jeff

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    There is nothing that I know of that can be done to correct the bug...if your player got it, its stuck with it.

Only way to not get the bug is to buy a player with no chroma bug issues...rp91, denon's new players, jvc players...to name a few

Eric.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

There are ways to adjust your TV to minimize it, but then that might affect the overall video quality too...

4. JeffreyH

I've tried messing with the settings to help and have found that if I turn down the colour enough the bug goes away. Then like you said it affects the overall video quality.

Any other suggestions?

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Sell it on Ebay or here on HTF and get the Panny RP91. Or save some money and get the JVC 70/75.

6. JeffreyH

I'm using component cables and it's still there.

I had a salesman tell me to use composite cables because otherwise my tv's comb filters are by-passed. Any truth to this??

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jeff,
    The comb filters are there to correct problems with composite inputs.... IOW You don't need comb filters for component input [​IMG]
    It is possible in theory to fix the chroma bug, but I doubt that NAD will do that. It hasn't been important to most manufacturers to address it to date.
    Regards,

8. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

9. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Gentelmen,
    I am using the Pioneer Elite DV-37 which is one of the worst for the chroma bug. My TV is the Mit 65859(i think) and since Mits have fairly bad red push I am using an atenuator on the red cable. This seems to correct both problems(covers them up). And my picture is beautiful.
    Truth in advertising: I wear tri-focals(progressives) but they are new and my distance vision is cystral clear. [​IMG]

10. JeffreyH

11. Leo

Leo Second Unit

It's a known issue with Mitsubishi RPTV's. Here's a link from Home Theater Spot that addresses the issue and provides the solution to correcting it:
    Fixing Red Push in Mitsubishi TV's

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Jeff,

Leo is correct. As is his link. That site is where I learn how to cheaply 'fix' the problem.

Mit and others push the red color gun to make the people like 'healthy' with red cheeks. Just like stores set up their display TVs on 100% contrast and brightness settings. Part of their problem is the bright lights. In case you did not know, these high settings will wear out the guns(tubes) much faster and at home wash out colors etc..

I am not expert but I think I got it right.

13. John Kotches

Joe,
    For kicks and grins, can you take off the red push attenuator from your DVD input and see if you notice the Chroma Bug? If you don't then it isn't the Red Push Attenuator isn't resolving your chroma bug.
    Chroma Bug appears on all saturated colors, not just reds. The Toy Story logo is an excellent example. No red in that bad boy [​IMG]
    FWIW, I'm not too sensitive to chroma bug, but man do I freak out with deinterlacing issues (combing, line twitter, motion judder) etc.
    Regards,

14. John Kotches

Breck,
    We're all individuals at Secrets, and often our opinions don't overlap [​IMG]
    Keep in mind that I am not yet well versed in video at this point in time, so I'm lagging behind on what things should look like....
    I think the motion errors are easier to notice than chroma bug is to the untrained eye, they definitely are to me!
    Heck, 1080i drives me batty with the artifacts from interlaced display [​IMG]

15. JeffreyH

Is there anyway in the service menus to make the bug less noticable? Like adjusting the reds?

16. John Kotches

Jeffrey,

No.