What's new

Can Anyone think of a comparable sepaker to the Tannoy D700 at a US price of $3600? (1 Viewer)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Just heard these speakers and was quite impressed. Their definately not forward in the upperange but have a very full sound to midrange vocals. I really enjoyed the base response. I also auditioned the Klipsch RF-7 and found the tannoy to be a much better Rock speaker in terms of it doesn't over emphasize the high frequency cymbals and electric guitar. Does anyone have any ideas of a comparibly priced speaker to check out? Anyone have any thoughts on this speaker in general?

Your help is much appreciated.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Magnepan 3.6R... one of the best speakers available under $5000.
And yes, they are amazing for HT use also.

Alex F.

Second Unit
If the D700 is tonally similar to the Tannoy Dimension TD12 (about $8,000/pair if I recall correctly), which I have auditioned critically, three alternatives come to mind immediately: Vandersteen 3A Signature ($3500), Vienna Acoustics Beethoven ($4000), and Polk LSi-25 ($3000).

Much to our surprise, my wife and I preferred the Polk's performance overall and purchased a pair. Until the introduction of the new LSi audiophile series, we never considered--rightly or wrongly--Polk to be a maker of refined, high-end speakers. Apparently, Matthew Polk felt much the same way when he decided to develop products (the new LSi series) to compete with top European and U.S. audiophile brands.

All the above (including the Tannoy TD12) share sonic similarities: very smooth, detailed, neutral to a bit warm tonally, nonaggressive in the upper-midrange and lower treble (never fatiguing), excellent high-frequency extension and air, and superb imaging.

Happy listening!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'd 2nd Alex's suggestions for Vandersteen and the Polk LSI. Other possibilities would be Meadowlark or Dunlavy (esp. if dynamics are a priority).

John A. Casler

Second Unit
The VMPS RM40 through an authorized dealer is $3680.(List is $4600)

Since your listening proclivity seems to lean toward the "dyamics" of rock and the ability to enjoy high SPLs without harshness, you should look into this speaker.

JMHO

John

Jay_H

Auditioning

They're not. To my ears, the TD12s seriously recess male vocals (Eddie Vedder, Dave Matthews, and the like). They sound like they're coming from well behind the drum kit. Actually, during my audition I took out my headphones (Senn HD-580s driven by a Headroom Total AirHead) to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

The D700s, by contrast, had a sound that made good recordings sound great and bad recordings sound bad. Well, maybe they rose-tinted bad recordings a bit, but that's not always a bad thing. Also, the midrange was cleaner, perhaps because of the second driver to take over the bass.

Despite the excellent job of design Tannoy did on the TD-series (they look stunning), the D-series are better for music. Now, if Tannoy would make an updated D-series with the supertweeter and that incredible-looking TD cabinet....

Peace,

Jay

Caveats: I heard the D700's in an American drywall room (Audio Atlanta in Marietta, GA), and the TD12's in a European concrete-wall room (a dealer in Vienna whose name I do not recall). They were both driven driven by wonderful electronics (Burmeister Rondo all around for the TD, Wadia CD/Sonic Frontiers Line-2 pre/Aragon amp for the D700s). However, both dealers exuded competence and expertise, so I suspect they both got the best out of the speakers.

Anny Chien

Agent
Silverline audio sr-17
Silverline Sonatina
ProAc response 2.5
Audio Physic Virgo 2 or 3
B&W N804
Newform Research 65
Sonus faber amator 3
Sonus faber grand pianos
Revel F30
Merlin TSM-SE
Dynaudio Contour 3.3
Magnepan 3.6
Silverline audio La Folia

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
You folks haven't been paying attention.

VMPS RM40s: ~ $4,000 after dealer discount

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks