Can anyone recommend some cool house-plants?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i recently moved into a brand new apartment and it's too darn white! i feel i need some greenery in there to help soften it up and provide some sense of "life". (all my stark, black, ht gear doesn't help either... [​IMG] )
    anyway, my sister has some pretty cool, kinda tall plants that seem to be just what i'm looking for. i don't have any shelves or anything to put short, potted type plants in.
    i don't think i have a green thumb either...i guess that could be a problem.
    anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what kind of plants to get that would be cool.
    think "low maintenance" and "hearty"!
    tia

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

We like the "Spider Plant" I'm not sure what the botanical name is, but a nursery will know, they're awesome.

Philodendrens(sp?) are a good hearty plant, and they look good. Except if you have small children be careful as they are poisonous.

Boston Ferns are nice too.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

get a Bonsai tree...they come in various flavors.

I love 'em.

I've killed a couple though...stashing them from the state border inspections in hot UHAULs, letting them burn up while I was on vacation..stuff like that.

5. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

Mother-in-laws tongue is a good floor plant.
    (If you don't mind the harsh criticism everyday[​IMG] )

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Benjamin, I have just one word for you...Cactus.
    Seriously resistant to all my subconcious efforts to kill it. Water it when you remember to, keep it way from the cold and you are golden.
    Low maintenance bachelor plant [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Pothos is easy to grow and has very pretty green and gold leaves. This is one of those essential house plants that everyone should have.

Dracaena plants are great too - spring the bucks (~$35) for a tall one and you'll have an instant "tree" in your apartment. They do well in low light areas and need very little watering.

For a little oddity, try a Beaucarnea recurvata. It's got a large "bulb" that sits on the soil topped with a long trunk that ends with long string-like leaves. It needs sun but requires almost no watering (once a month is fine.)

Also needing some sun, but otherwise very easy, are "pregnant onions" - I forget the scientific name. These look like large bulby green onions sitting on the soil. They have long leaves and develop small 'baby' plants on the bulb (hence the 'pregnant' part). They also develop long flowering shoots which results in seeds. They are almost impossible to kill. The only drawback to them is that soon you will have a billion of the things. They are very interesting though.

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Cacti rule!I have several..you do not really have to water them at all.I put mine outside when it starts getting warm and let mother nature take care of feedings and you are not supposed to water them during the winter when they are inside.

It is amazing how much they grow,granted it is much slower then your typical plant it is alot more exciting.

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I used to be an avid green thumb. One of the most beautiful of house plants is the Norfolk Island Pine. Too bad its very tempermental. Needs lots of humidity and lots of light.

Umbrella plants are easy to care for. The word bachelor and Devils Ivy go hand in hand. It just doesn't get any better than that.

10. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Nothing is as elegant as a potted palm. Good for the entryway or entertaining areas of the living room. They're airy, delicate, and rather tolerant of abuse and low light.
    Of course Audrey II is another choice.....
    ..... and I have a few:
    For a nice potted hanging plant for a window with a lot of sun look at a Drosera binata multifida 'extreema'. This delightful hanging plant grows to about 3 ft long with each maroon branch carrying a spider's web tangle of up to 50 points, each covered with goo-oozing (but not dripping) hairs. The plant is definitely carnivorous and in sun it's fantastic. Only hitch is that you have water it with distilled, rain, or R/O water and requires a potting mix of about 50/50 sand and peat.
    Another good one is Nepenthes khasiana, a carnivorous tropical pitcher plant. Lovely plant and rather happy on windowsills. Can get rather big but gentle pruning and occasional feeding (here kitty, kitty) [​IMG] along with pure water will make it a definite topic of conversation.
    See more at: The International Carnivorous Plant Society FAQ
    Have fun!

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wow! thanks all for the great advice.
    i'm gonna summarize all this and go to my nursery! i think i'll start slow...maybe one or two plants. if things go well and i don't destroy them the first week...then maybe this'll be a fun new hobby for me!
    thanks again all...
    [​IMG]