Can anyone recommend free WAV or CD track analyzers for use in comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I just got a couple of "remastered" CDs and I have the original CDs. I've seen reviews on the web where people use software to analyze CD tracks to show that the remastered versions are just louder (and often times more compressed) but the louder part makes them sound "better".

I'd like to analyze the tracks on the new CD vs. the old CD to see if this is the case.

Can anyone recommend any WAV file or CD track analyzers that are freely downloadable?

Thanks!

2. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) has some wave comparison features, it is an audio extraction program.

Goldwave is a really good audio editor that has a trial period.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Carlo,

I think you already have a couple very high quality CD analyzers...one on each side of your head[​IMG]

Sorry, had to do it! So much discussion about CD sound quality. So many people don't really listens anymore. Open the CD, pop it into the PC, look at the Wav, game over. Better yet, find a copy on the web, and analyze that. No purchase required.

From my point of view, if something sounds good, it sounds good. If it sounds bad, it sounds bad. Don't much care why.

Case in point; the new Rush EP Feedback. I thought it sounded pretty good, maybe not the best in the world, but pretty good. Someone posted that the wav looked like a square wav; that they would NEVER buy the CD. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Some really good music, with reasonable SQ, and this guy has already trashed it.

OK, rant mode off.

BGL

4. Michael St. Clair

I don't run around making buying decisions based on waveforms, but graphical comparisons can be useful tools for us to learn why things sound the way they do. Those of us who sometimes take a more analytical approach to how music is being produced and mastered these days don't necessarily have any less love for the music.

5. Carlo Medina

I do agree that listening is critical. However I wanted to get a balance of both subjective and objective measurements.

Had forgotten about EAC, will have to check out their site.

6. Carlo Medina

Michael, I definitely don't buy based on waveforms either. But I am familiar with the "louder = better" phenomenon, and I don't want to re-purchase a $12-$15 CD that I already own if all they did was bump up the volume.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, just to argue with myself...........

As soon as the remastered Rush "Vapor Trails" comes out, I WILL want one of you boys to post your results BEFORE I whip out the Amex!

BGL