Can anyone recommend a whole-house water filter?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I used to live in a home supplied by a well and had a service that would bring me purified water and one of those coolers in the kitchen.

It was all very nice, except.. now I live in a subdivision that is connected to city water. It is nice clean water, however, after being spoiled by bottled water being delivered, I really can taste the chlorine in my tap water (thank you cryptosporidium, you've got this town living in fear since you showed up).

So, I've been shopping around for water filters and I found that a whole-house water filtration system isn't much more expensive than an under-counter system.

Does anyone have any experience with whole-house filters? Are they a pain to maintain? Does your water pressure go down as the filter gets full?

There shouldn't be much to filter, I basically just want to get rid of the chlorine taste to my water.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I've been thinking of that too, they do exist I take it.

Your questions are good. I'd also be curious - does the unit take much space? What does it claim to filter? (we have had both sediment from old town water lines, and some pollution).

Can the unit be be kept on standby, ie, water allowed to come thru straight when there are not town water supply difficulties?

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

To get rid of the Chorine taste, you will need an Activated Carbon filter, my parents water softener has one (general ionics) but I have never looked into getting any kind of filter for my house, the taste of the local water does not bother me
    any filter you get will need filter changes based on water consumption, try to get one with the biggest filters you can find, you will have less pressure loss

4. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I think you answered your own question (by asking another question) here. [​IMG]

5. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I think you answered your own question (by asking another question) here. [​IMG]

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Marko,

The man wants the water, he doesn't want it all to dissapear, or be replaced by salsa.

Don't be crazy, man.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Marko,

The man wants the water, he doesn't want it all to dissapear, or be replaced by salsa.

Don't be crazy, man.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've had a carbon filter under the kitchen sink for over 10 years now, but I'm considering adding a whole-house one, due to the "chlorine-funk" coming out of every other spigot going up a notch or two, in the past year.

You may want to consider adding two charcoal filters in parallel on the supply line. This will double the flow capacity, as well as the useful life of the filters. That part is a zero-sum game, as you are using two filters, but the higher flow rate, and thus, higher pressure at the spigot, is what you want.

Our city water isn't really hard enough to consider a softener (which in and of itself won't remove chlorine, anyway).

Todd

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've had a carbon filter under the kitchen sink for over 10 years now, but I'm considering adding a whole-house one, due to the "chlorine-funk" coming out of every other spigot going up a notch or two, in the past year.

You may want to consider adding two charcoal filters in parallel on the supply line. This will double the flow capacity, as well as the useful life of the filters. That part is a zero-sum game, as you are using two filters, but the higher flow rate, and thus, higher pressure at the spigot, is what you want.

Our city water isn't really hard enough to consider a softener (which in and of itself won't remove chlorine, anyway).

Todd

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

LOL... I'm cursed with starting the salsa..er, I mean silica thread for the rest of my HTF life.

Anyway, John, yes they do exist, I'm pretty sure you can pick one up at your local Home Depot or someplace similar. The thing that surprised me the most is that they really aren't that expensive ($50 - $100). I mean, I don't really need a whole house filter. I could just drink from the kitchen tap with an under-counter unit... but for a few bucks more, why not do the whole place? [​IMG]

Todd, good idea about the parallel filters. That's my biggest concern: water pressure loss. Back when we lived in an apartment, we used to use one of those PUR screw on tap filters (carbon). They work great for the first few gallons and then, as the filter gets full, slowly starts to turn into a trickle.

Ever since the crypto came to town back in '93, municipalities around here seem to be adding a lot more chlorine to their water. Actually the suburb I live in was touted as having the best water in the area... and I was excited to move here to try it. [​IMG] But, it still tastes like I'm drinking from a swimming pool to me.

I think it's like smoking... if you're a smoker you really don't smell cigarette smoke. Once you quit, it's the first thing you notice when you're around smokers. Same theory applies to chlorinated water.

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

LOL... I'm cursed with starting the salsa..er, I mean silica thread for the rest of my HTF life.

Anyway, John, yes they do exist, I'm pretty sure you can pick one up at your local Home Depot or someplace similar. The thing that surprised me the most is that they really aren't that expensive ($50 - $100). I mean, I don't really need a whole house filter. I could just drink from the kitchen tap with an under-counter unit... but for a few bucks more, why not do the whole place? [​IMG]

Todd, good idea about the parallel filters. That's my biggest concern: water pressure loss. Back when we lived in an apartment, we used to use one of those PUR screw on tap filters (carbon). They work great for the first few gallons and then, as the filter gets full, slowly starts to turn into a trickle.

Ever since the crypto came to town back in '93, municipalities around here seem to be adding a lot more chlorine to their water. Actually the suburb I live in was touted as having the best water in the area... and I was excited to move here to try it. [​IMG] But, it still tastes like I'm drinking from a swimming pool to me.

I think it's like smoking... if you're a smoker you really don't smell cigarette smoke. Once you quit, it's the first thing you notice when you're around smokers. Same theory applies to chlorinated water.

12. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I actually asked this question a month or so ago. I ended up researching via the internet.

After much research and indecision, I just had this one installed...

http://www.aquaferwater.com/

It's not cheap but it also softens the water, as South Florida has serious hard water.

This system is maintenance free, no salt or back wash valves. You do have to change the post and pre filter yearly, and it's inexpensive. I'm still evaluating so I can let you know in a week how it is.

13. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I actually asked this question a month or so ago. I ended up researching via the internet.

After much research and indecision, I just had this one installed...

http://www.aquaferwater.com/

It's not cheap but it also softens the water, as South Florida has serious hard water.

This system is maintenance free, no salt or back wash valves. You do have to change the post and pre filter yearly, and it's inexpensive. I'm still evaluating so I can let you know in a week how it is.

14. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for operations and maintenance. A poorly maintained filter can be a major health hazard.

Dave

15. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for operations and maintenance. A poorly maintained filter can be a major health hazard.

Dave

16. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

So Gary..how is it?

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Same here in my new house. The amount of chlorine is staggering! I can smell it when I turn on the hot water, as it evaporates out of the tap.

I've got a PUR filter on the kitchen sink and keep a pitcher of water in the fridge (the chlorine will evaporate out), but I'm interested in a whole-house solution to the vile water out here.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dave, did you ever get a whole house system? yep, i'm considering one myself.

gary, now that yours has been installed for a while, how do you like it?

anyone else here thinking about adding a whole-house system?

19. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

I keep hearing Kinetico water systems commercials on the radio. I wonder if they are any good?

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    No, not yet. It's still near the bottom of home-upgrades (I don't have grass yet, for instance). And I've gotten used to keeping water in the fridge. I don't notice the chlorine for non-drinking uses: showering, laundry, dishwashing, or cooking.