What's new

Can anyone recommend a decent electric guitar? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Don't like the look of Strats but Fender Teles are nice.
I don't believe in spending over about £400 on a guitar (don't know what that is a Can $'s) - i.e. I would never buy a genuine Gibson or Fender or even Ricky if I could possibly help it.
The reasoning is simple - they're 2x-5x as expensive but they're never 2x-5x as good.
The only reason for having a very good electric is if you are doing a lot of intricate clean tone stuff. The minute you plug that baby into your Turbo RAT or Big Muff distortion it's not going to matter about the pickups.
I guess it's too late before you go shopping but here's the deal: does it feel nice?
That's it. If the neck is straight (look down it's length from the bridge to make sure there is no warping) you're probably fine.
Bear in mind what string weight they use in a shop - often it is no. 10's - these are noticeably tougher than no. 9's, which is my and most peoples' preference.
Also, the action is usually set quite hight. Get them to lower the strings until you can play easily and see how much it buzzes through an amp.
Incidentally, Fenders normally come with single coil pickups and bolt-on necks. If you're looking for a warm deep sound with plenty of sustain then Gibson/Epiphone style ones with glue-on necks and nice fat double-coil humbuckers will be more to your taste. If you want a tremelo bar then you're prob. better with a Fender.
Good luck, man!:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I personally like G&L guitars, http://www.glguitars.com/ .
These are handmade not by some factory. My opinion is that you get a better quality instrument. One of the problems with the early mexican made and korean made guitars is quality control. Although they have been improved upon over the years, there is nothing like true craftsmanship from an experienced luthier. That is why PRS are extremely good guitars, because they are handmade by luthiers.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, it came down to which one in my price range felt the most comfortable to play, and that was the Epiphone.

Of course, this is highly subjective, as clearly differences of opinion on various brands is already clear from this thread.

By the way, my friend and teacher plays an Ibanez electric. Don't ask me what model. Among our circle, it's the guitar everyone is jealous of. I made him promise that I get it should he meet an untimely end (if I go first, he gets the DVDs). He plays it on stage and it sounds great. I've played it and it's very comfortable. Again, I guess it's pretty subjective.

Thanks for all the input.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There are many different types of Ibanez. Most people are familiar with their 'RAWK' types but they do nice Les Paul style ones too.
Good to hear you got one Rain. There's no reason that Epiphone isn't a top quality model, btw. Jonny in my band has a £200-£300 quid model and it really is one of the best guitars I've ever played. We played a couple of vintage Les Paul proper Gibsons and it was almost identical in feel.
Same is true of Squier Fender-types. Some are just pure class, despite the pricetag.:D

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I work in a guitar shop and I would suggest a Jackson or a Schecter. Both great guitar companies.

Brion

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In that price range I would have gone for a fat Mexican Strat for a few reasons - first, I like the Mexicans far better than the Americans, they feel better IMO, the build quality is exceptional, and pickups can always be upgraded to the American ones for less than buying an American. Second is warranty - Fender is awesome in this regard. Gibson is one year, and it's like pulling teeth dealing with them - don't even start on Rickenbacker. Third, learning on the longer scale length will strengthen your fingers more, making the move back to a Gibson that much easier. Strats are tougher to play at first, but once you can play one, Gibsons play like butter. Lastly, for tonal variation you can't beat a Strat.

I doubt you'll be unhappy with the Epiphone, and the great thing about L&M is they are always happy to exchange stuff, though you do take a hit if it's after any length of time.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...and the great thing about L&M is they are always happy to exchange stuff, though you do take a hit if it's after any length of time.
Plus, my friend works there, so I can get away with murder. :)
Jeff, I've been meaning to ask you...do you still play in a band and, if so, where and when are you guys playing next? I'd might be interested in coming to hear you.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Strats are tougher to play at first, but once you can play one, Gibsons play like butter
How do you mean, Jeff?
I have a 70's fake Tele (nice pickups) and a fake Columbus ES 335. I would still take the 335 over the Tele any day for playability, though the solid body of the Tele makes it better for when you want to chuck your guitar around a bit on stage... RAWK!:D

Brad_W

Screenwriter
While I am a drummer I did teach myself how to play guitar for a year before I taught myself how to play the drums. I would definately suggest getting an Ibanez. the neck is thin and smooth which makes getting your hands and fingers around it easier and can help you develop your skills.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Fender's could be considered harder to play because their necks are 25 1/2 inches long, as opposed to Gibson's, which are 24 3/4 inches long. They also have a different fretboard design on them, which makes bending the strings harder.

Personally I love my Gibson, it's very easy to play. I don't think it's a positive point for a guitar to be harder to play, that's not cool.

Ibanez Jem's are a great guitar. As well as the Satriani guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks