What's new

Can anyone recommend a decent electric guitar? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Suffice it to say, I'm not at all pleased with the one I bought, so tonight, it's going back from whence it came.
Can anyone recommend a decent electric guitar in the $600-$800 (Canadian) price range?
The one pictured in this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=eBay is under consideration and is readily available.
I'm looking for a guitar that will be good to continue learning on, but one that I will also want to play for many years to come.
Thank you.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I've always been partial to the Rickenbacker, perhaps because of the 'Johnny Marr' sound. Though they are pricey, there are some models between $400-$600.
But it really is a matter of taste and the type of music you want to play.
I always liked semi-hollow bodied electrics because they sound warmer and richer when plugged in.
Joseph

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't know too much about guitars, but my BC Rich Warlock is the best damn guitar I've ever played (I wrote a little about it in your other guitar thread, but I didn't have it then... I got it from my wife for Christmas :)). I've had 3 guitars before, 2 electric and 1 acoustic, and I've played countless guitars in music stores, but this beats them all. The first time I played it it just blew me away with its ease of play and great sound.
Like I said, I got it for Christmas, and I've been playing it a lot. It feels SO GOOD to play it, it's like the damn thing was custom built to fit my hands.
The one thing that some people complain about regarding this guitar is that it's a little "top heavy", but I don't mind, it actually fits my playing style.
The build quality is good, about the same that I've seen in other guitars in this price range.
I definitely suggest that you check it out, maybe you'll like it.
/mike

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Try out the Epiphone Les Paul and especially the Epiphone SG. After you play an SG (and feel how light they are) it will be tough to go to anything else.

Not sure how much these are Canadian, but I know that the Epis can be had for around $350-400 here in the states.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Try out the Epiphone Les Paul...
Yeah, that's the one I was referring to in the other thread. Can't remember who posted the photo. Price tag: $780 Canadian. I'll ask about the SG tonight when I go there.

RicP

Screenwriter
Rain,
My recommendation is a Fender Stratocaster. You should be able to find a gently used one for around $700. Check out your local Pawn Shops -- they really are the places where you can find great deals on guitars -- just make sure to look over the instrument thoroughly for any damage.
Even though the Les Paul bodies sound super -- that's what I have -- I think you may find it easier to play at first on a Strat body. Go to a guitar shop and play, play, play. Get a feel for what size neck is comfortable for you and what pickup arrangement you like.
Just remember once you've bought the guitar you're only halfway there...you still need to get an amp. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ric, thanks, but...
I do plan to eventually get a Fender Strat...doesn't everyone want one of those? But I want to wait until I can afford an American, which will run me about over a grand to buy new.
I'm not buying a used guitar. I like the guarantee I get by buying it in the shop my friend works for. Plus, that way I can finance. :D
I know there tends to be a bit more space between the strings on a FS and, yes, this would make it easier, but I'm already getting comfortable with the fingering on the one I have, so that's not really a big issue. I figure if I can play one with a really narrow neck, I can play anything.
I was also told that I should start learning acoustic with nylon strings because it would be gentler on my fingers. Didn't go with that recommendation either. I figure start with the hardest...if you can do that, you can do the others. I now have no sensation of pain in my left fingertips. :)
Oh yeah, and I already have an amp plus my friend has zillions that I can use.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Take a look at www.carvin.com. Factory direct guitars and basses. Full customization. I bought my bass from there about 4 years ago. Made from Koa and white ash, it is one of the most beautiful things made from wood I've ever seen. Plays great too, even though I suck.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Let me caution against the Epiphone Les Paul, which I have. I bought mine about 10 years ago and have regretted not saving my money for the real deal. There really is a quality difference between the Gibsons and the Epiphones.

If you can spring for a nice Strat, do it. The neck spacing is wider and easier to play for beginners.

I've had a chance to play Carvins (they are just down Sunset Blvd) and was impressed.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
A lot of the difference between the Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls is in the pickups and wiring (as well as the finishes); you can replace/upgrade the pickups and wires down the road if you need to.

Same with the SGs; pickups are the real price difference on both.

Personally, I'm a Strat hater (don't like the sound/action) but I know people who swear by them. try each out with a solo passage as well as chords.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, seems this all really comes down to personal preference.

Again, this is not going to be my one and only guitar ever. I already know that. So, even if I go with the Epiphone Les Paul, no reason I can't buy something even better later on.

I'll be shopping tonight. Just in case anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...go to Long & McQuade...
As it happens, that's exactly where I'm going.
Oh, and I must correct an earlier error. It would appear that the guitar pictured in the other thread is a Gibson, not Epiphone. Hard to make the distinction based on a photo and my ever-waning short term memory. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Rain,

Don't be so quick to discount the Mide in Mexico Fender stuff. IMHO it is much higher quality than the Made in Korea "Epiphone" stuff that I've played in every way. The Fender MIM strats should be in your price range, and there is no more versatile guitar than a nice Strat.

Craig

Second Unit
Rain, the Les Paul in the ebay thread is mine. I paid $1449 for it, it was new in box with hardcase. There's been a lot of dealers putting clearance prices on Les Pauls lately, it's a real buyers market.
An Epiphone might be ok, but Musician's Friend has the Les Paul Special SL at a good price. I think when resell time comes you'll get more for the Special (link below).
I'd really recommend getting a mint condition used guitar and let someone else take the depreciation, but there is something about special about getting a brand new one. Good Luck!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ase_pid/517279

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
If you are a fan of classic electric Rock nothing beats the bottom heavy sound of a Gibson (Les Paul or SG) - yes, Hendrix and Page played a Fender (at least on Led Zep I) but they were heavily processed and you won't get that sound without a lot of distortion - If your into 80's heavy metal or very technical playing Ibanez is a great brand - very playable guitars with the Edge Trem and double octave, speedy necks (check out the Ibanez Jem for a really beautiful 80's era guitar - www.jemsite.com). One accesory which is absolutely essential is the line 6 POD. It emulates many different guitars and you can jam thru headphones and get an incredible variety of effects in this little box.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Gibson Les Paul Studio. Should be around that price range.

Ibanez makes some great guitars.

I don't like Fender's myself.

Go into the guitar shop and play every single guitar there. Buy whatever you like best.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The Mexican Strats are extremely good instruments, especially considering the price. Also, check out PRS's Santana model. They're very solid and wonderful to play, and go for around $600-$700 American. I can't speak for Carvin guitars, since I don't own one, but I have a Carvin fretless bass that is the best bass I have ever played. I have a friend who used to room with Michael Tobias (bass builder) back in the day and gets Mike to build all of his basses custom. I'll never forget him drooling over my $800 Carvin while his new $2000 Tobias sat in the corner! I'm sure Carvin's guitars are just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks