What's new

Can anyone point me to VTF-3 MK II dB@Hz figures? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'm in the process of deciding between SVS and Hsu. SVS was very forth coming with performace figures on there subs, but Hsu doesn't give detailed specs. While I completely respect and understand Hsu's position on this matter I would still like to have some figures for comparison.

Can anyone on the board point me to where I can find Hz @ specific dB for the VTF-3 MKII? for example:

? max dB @ 16Hz
? max dB @ 20Hz
? max dB @ 25Hz

I know many things come into play like room size etc... but I'd like to see or hear from anyone who has some figures. I've searched, but can't seem to find this kind of information on the MKII anywhere.

And please no Hsu vs. SVS, I just want to get some info not start a war.

Thanks
Legairre

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The best way to get this information is direct from Hsu Research. Send Peter Marcks a PM or an email.

You want distortion-limited (10% THD) output data at various frequencies obtained in "1/2-space" (outside away from reflective structures with the subwoofer on the ground), with the microphone placed on the ground plane.

SVS measures its subwoofers with the microphone a distance of 2 meters from the subwoofer. Last I checked, Hsu Research was measuring at 1 meter. If they provide you with the 1 meter values, subtract 6 dB from them for the 2 meter equivalent.

AFAIK, no reviewer has tested the VTF-3 MKII in this fashion (outside as described above), so again your best bet is to go directly to Hsu Research for this data.

As an outside shot, you might want to contact Craig Chase (he's a member here). He took a lot of measurements of the VTF-3 MKII, but I don't think he dragged it outside; they were indoor tests IIRC.

Regards,

Ed

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ed is correct - There were two feet of snow on the ground when we did the measurements on the VTF-3 Mark II, so we tested it indoors, away from walls and corners, at one meter.

Based on later tests (trying a subwoofer in the room, then 1/2 space @ one meter), we estimate these results have about 6 dB of room gain (8 at 16 Hz) ... Here were the in room figures:

16 Hz - 104 dB (96 dB outdoors 1/2 space)

20 Hz - 108 dB (102 dB)

25 Hz - 112 dB (106 dB)

The measurements were taken in the single port, max extension mode. And yes, subtract 6 dB for a direct comparison to the two meter measurement.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening Legairre,

We have given some thought to releasing some detailed data on our subwoofers. Alas, we do not want to open up a can of worms where people compare our data generated using our own measurement methods and techniques versus data gathered by another source. Of course, we may end up changing our stance on this, time will tell. Also, on a side note, we prefer to have the performance of our subwoofers verified by independent professionals and consumers. The TN series and VTF series has been reviewed by several prominent reviewers over the years.

Everything else we can probably discuss through your private messages!

Sincerely,

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Craig!

From what I know about the design of the VTF-3MKII turbocharger, expect a turbo equipped MKII model to literally blast these numbers out of the water. Perhaps I have already said too much, that is enough for now :D

Have a great night!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
As a follow up - I went back into my notes on the VTF-3 Mark II regarding the numbers from 20 Hz and up using the two port, max output setting ... Indoor measurements are posted, with the outdoor estimates second, and the 2 meter figures third.

20 Hz - 112 dB ....... 106 dB ...... 100 dB

25 Hz - 116 dB ....... 110 dB ...... 104 dB

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Peter - It would seem pretty logical that the Turbo option will allow for the use of the "max extension" mode with both ports both opened and extended in length - so yes, The output below 25 Hz would likely be several dB higher than we achieved with the "first run" VTF-3 Mark II's from January, 2004.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Craig,

Not only have there been some refinements to the VTF-3 MKII product since inception, you are correct that the turbocharger can easily be visualized as an instant boost in low bass performance. That said, there is more than meets the eye with respect to the upgrade option. I am sure you all will be quite pleasantly surprised to see what the good Dr. has come up with. Just another stroke of genius from the good man :b

Sincerely,

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Edward, Craig and Peter I want to thank each one of you for responding to this thread. When I made the post I assumed no one was really going to reply because I had searched the net for MKII reviews and I just could find any. So a big thanks to each one of you.

Craig thanks for the figures you've posted. Those are exactly the kind of figures I'm looking. I was looking to get some, or any idea of the VTF-3's performance figures. Not that I live for numbers, it's just that I like to have an idea how much of a performace boost I could get from an upgrade. Based on those figures the boost below 30Hz will be substantial:D.

Peter, once again thank you for all your help. I know you can't go into details, but it sounds like there are some really cool additions/upgrades in the works. It also sounds like Hsu customers will have more just the turbo as an upgrade. If the turbo upgrade destroys the figures Craig posted then the MkII subwoofers could be the bargain of the year as long as the upgrades don't cost as much as a second MKII.

Can you at least spill he beans on a timeframe?

Thanks
Legairre

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening Legairre!

We always try to take care of our existing customers, and it feels really good to be able to offer them something even in the midst of releasing a new VTF-HO subwoofer line.

No fixed timeframe yet, but hopefully within the next few months. We will get the new technology out as soon as possible. Until then, just sit back and enjoy to the fullest :)

Have patience my friend, you will be rewarded in spades.

Sincerely,

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes, Legairre, please allow me to also add that I am quite sure that a turbo-equipped VTF-3 MKII model will blast the regular maximum extension model data out of the water. Also, turbo should be available at a fraction of the cost of an entire subwoofer. This will bring balance to the force :D

Have a wonderful night!

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Drew,

We are all just as anxious as you are to see the new technology come out. We have some great suppliers, and we have quite a lot of faith in them, so let's hope for the best!

Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks