Can Anyone Identify This Movie ?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Anthony Neilson, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    OK, this has been driving me nuts for years. It must be a fairly obscure movie, black and white, and I'm pretty sure it's British, so I'm not expecting anyone to know, just hoping.

All I can remember is that there's a child - a girl, I think - who has a teddy bear. A gangster hides either diamonds or money inside the teddy and has to rip it open to get them back. The girl is inconsolable. So he (or someone) tries to replace it, maybe with another teddy bear,
    I don't know - I'm thinking it was wrapped in cellophane -
    but the girl doesn't want it.

And that's about it. This is a really distant childhood memory, but I got quite upset about it at the time. A couple of other people I know can remember this as well but none of us have a clue what it is.

Can anyone put me out of my misery ? [​IMG]

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Sounds an awful lot like Night of the Hunter except it is money hidden and the killer doesn't find out the money is in the Teddy Bear until near the end.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

My first thought was "Night of the Hunter" also, but nobody tries to give her a different doll.

There's also a similar movie called "Wait until Dark" w/ Audrey Heburn, where drugs are hidden in a doll that she has, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for either.

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Sounds like a good movie. Im curious as to what it is myself.

5. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    No, it's neither of those. I'm fairly sure it's not a well-known film otherwise I'd have come across it again by now. Thanks for trying, though. [​IMG] Any other suggestions ?