Can anyone identify this film?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Stone, Mar 2, 2002.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I vaguely remember watching a particularly strange movie on television in the 1970s. I was just a kid then, so my memory of it is pretty hazy. I'm hoping someone might know what the name of the movie is.

Here's what little I remember: I'm pretty sure it was a black and white film. I remember a scene in which some scary looking creatures (not human?) were up high, possibly in a cart moving along a wire suspended in the air. The creatures were throwing things at the people below them. I seem to remember very busy, dramatic music playing during that scene.

I also think there was a scene in which a person (or a couple of people?) were repeatedly dunked under water while restrained, or in a stockade (?). One of the people being dunked may have been an obese man, but I can't remember for sure.

That's about all I can remember. Does anyone know what film I'm talking about?

2. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    That was no movie, John. You're an alien abductee, and your repressed memories of their medical exam are finally surfacing. [​IMG]

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>That's no film. That was my life!

5. John Gregorich

John Gregorich Auditioning

Hmmm... The obese man being dunked into water makes me think of a Laurel and Hardy film called "Babes in Toyland". Come to think of it, it has a monkey dressed in a robe flying in a small blimp throwing things at the people below. Could this be it?

6. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

John, I think that's it! I looked it up on the IMDB and I'm pretty sure you nailed it. It's ironic that this film is a comedy, because most of what I remember scared me as a child.
    I see that the film also goes by the title "March of the Wooden Soldiers", which is available on DVD, but the only version is colorized?! I want to see the original B&W version badly, but it looks like the bastardized version is all that's available.
    I can't thank you enough, I've been wondering about that film for probably 15 or 20 years!

7. John Gregorich

John Gregorich Auditioning

wow - of all the time I spend on this forum, this is the first time I've ever been able to help someone out. [​IMG] Glad I could help. I have the colorized version for VHS which I watch occasionally. I have never seen the b/w version but I'd love to see it that way. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch it on TV that way some day...