Can Anyone Help, Please??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JayKellen, Oct 23, 2004.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

I just got a High Definition Cable Box from my cable provider and hooked it up to my Toshiba 46 inch Widescreen HD Projection TV...I have the component cables plugged into HD 1 on the back of my TV for my HD Cable Picture, and I have component cables plugged into HD 2 on the back of my Tv for my DVD video.

My problem lies with my audio however. I can get audio through my surround sound speaker system when I run my HD cable through input "ANT" on my Tv, but when I select input "Colorstream 1" on my TV, I cannot get audio through my receiver system. It only has audio if I select in the audio menu of my TV for my TV speakers to be on. I want to have my receiver output the sound from colorstream 1, so what am i doing wrong? I have an RCA 650 watt home theater in a box system by the way....

It is a pain when I want to watch a DVD at times cause I have to remember to go into the TV menu and turn my TV speakers off, otherwise, it will play both the dvd movie audio AND the cable broadcast audio at the same time. I know this is confusing, but if someone can maybe help me even just a little, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jay,

Component cables only carry video, not audio. If you haven't already you need to run left and right analog audio cables from the cable box to the left and right audio in jacks grouped with "colorstream 1". This will only get you stereo sound and pro-logic thru your HTB.

You should run a digital audio cable straight from the cable box direct to one of the digital inputs on your HTB-this will get you 5.1 sound on those HD channels that have it.

3. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

Where on my receiver do I plug the red and white cables into for colorstream 1? My receiver has jacks for dvd, satellite, and in vcr, an out vcr and the tv. It also has red and whites in's for cd and an out for tape. Which one coincides with colorstream 1? Also, i have two optical jacks, optical 1 has my optical cable for my dvd, so do i plug another one in to optical 2 from my cable box to enable 5.1 for HD then? What setting on my receiver do i go with then to get 5.1 on HD? Sorry to make matters more confusing. Thanks for the reply by the way.

4. Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus Stunt Coordinator

Correct Jay,
    run that second optical cable from your cable box to your receiver, it should be labeled something like Optical-2 or Audio-3, 4 whatever. Then go into your receiver input setup to ensure it's labeled properly or set up to receive the proper signal that's being input i.e. optical, analog, coax....Also double check what audio out your cable box is using in the menu, should be peachy...