What's new

can anyone help my sister get the most of her $300 (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hello,

My sister just got engaged and already she is controlling the pocketbook! Her fiance has talked her into getting a surround system, but she has put on a limit of $300. They live in an apartment and are looking at all-in-one kits. They already have a DVD player. I think when I first started I bought an all-in-one system for $400 and it wasn't too bad a start.

Basically I am wondering if any of you know of some decent systems for around $300. I'd like them to get the most for their money and I have been looking at more high end stuff for myself so it's kind of difficult for me to listen to these systems. I don't mean they are horrible systems, I am just saying my ear is tuned to higher end stuff at the moment. Thanks for your help.

George

Joe Burch

Grip
I've read a lot of reviews about the Onkyo HTIB system for I think $499 - not a bad kit from my understanding for HTIB. $300? Gonna be tough getting ANYTHING that is really home theater (imho) and you wont get a powered subwoofer even then. My .02.

Joe

Ron_L

Second Unit
Take the $300 and save it.

No Offence intended, but HT for $300 is ridiculous.

There are some JVC units that are ok.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I personally have not heard them but it fits your criteria, that is the Flaunce 5.0 set they sell for $200. Add a DLS sub for $100 and there you go.

I don't know of anything else that would fit that price range.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For $330 you can get the JBL Cinema ProPack at www.harmanaudio.com . It comes w/ a a receiver, 5 speakers, a sub, and a DVD player. The speakers are very solid for their size and price. The receiver incorporates HK technology like Logic7. I know they already have a DVD player, but at the price they could use the included player or the player they already have in the bedroom.

For the money they're looking to spend this about the best. Other all in one systems will offer sub-par speakers and horrible receiver/dvd combinations. I would give the ProPack 600 a strong look.

Hope this helps :)

Michael.Cu

Agent
Since they already have a DVD player, the Logitech Z-680 system would probably fill the need quite nicely. Certainly not as good as a separate receiver/speakers, but probably sounds better than anything else at the same price. The Logitech sub is pretty good with movies---though music leaves something to be desired. 309.00 w/ free shipping @ Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...er=Description

edit: on a side note---is it just me, or do the drivers from the Logitechs and the nOrh 3.0 look like twins?

nOrh: http://www.norh.com/products/norh3/norh3marble1.jpg

Logitech: http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...e_uncorked.jpg

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Michael,

There's a good chance they are the same driver. Alot of companies use drivers that aren't designed/built in house to keep down on R&D cost and manufacturing. The application of the driver is the same in both speakers (full range). My guess is it's a Tang-Bang driver that you can pick up for around $20 each.

As for the original post, the Logitech system is a good idea, but not near the inputs and flexibility of a tru receiver/speaker package. That's why my vote still goes to the JBL Cinema ProPack 600, especially since the speaker/sub package included sells for $500 by it's self at BestBuy.

Here's a direct link http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...PROPACK 600-Z

DonJ

Second Unit
300.00 limt? You've got to be joking, I was a newly wed when I got my system. I came home and said "we're getting a home theater." She said "no". When she came home that night she found a HK AVR320 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC370, Mini Monitors, and a PS1000 sub in the den. Now she loves it. Tell your brother in-law to grow some B***S and get a real system LOL.
edit: if they have the budget to get something better.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the HK unit, her fiance may not be the HT buff yet so he may not notice the difference, but I'm pretty sure the HK HTIB will sound and do just fine.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
George,
I don't think anyone anywhere can come up with anything better than what these guys have come up with other than you throwing in some extra cash for her- she's your sister right? You love her, right? ;)

Truth is- I don't think you can do better than that deal that Stephen pointed out for the money, and I would go that over the Logitech. Then, when some more cash does become available (hmmm- what are brothers for? :D - sorry, couldn't resist) [I'm an only child anyway so what do I know] get the Fluance package that Chad mentioned and the DLS 10' sub. Now we're talking!

Good luck to your brother and remind your sister that good music makes people smile...and dance...at least it should:)

Take good care, José

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for the help so far, guys.

I am trying to talk to her about raising to at least $500. I didn't see the JBL Pro Pack for the deal. Was it a special, or am I not looking hard enough?

And, as her brother, I probably should thrown in some money, huh? Besides, she's getting married, I owe them a wedding gift. Decisions decisions.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
George,
I was just busting your chops about the money. The JBL Cinema ProPack that Stephen mentioned is the last line (the link) of his second post.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the Logitech Z-680's would probably be the best bet. They beat most of the HTiB systems in that price range, IMHO... You all should go listen to them before speaking up about this, lol!

You might need to help pitch in with a coaxial or optical cable, tho...

GregoryW

Auditioning
$300 is a very tight budget. I had this same problem with my parents who are retiring soon and as a result their pinching pennies. Their main goal was small speakers not the surround sound. I had them go for the Sony HT-DDW740 which Consumer Reports rated #1 amonng units priced from $300 - $900. If Consumers would have tested the $500 Onkyo HTIB I think the results would have been way different. If there is no possible chance in going over the $300 mark I would go for for the Sony. For an apartment it wouldn't be a bad setup since you can't play a HT setup very loud anyway. The sound is good for the price. If you're curious about what others think, check out this link.
Bass response was very good but the one downfall is that there's no Dolby ProLogic II. If they're primarily using it for DVD's, no bid deal.

Now, if you can get her over the $300 mark I would go for the Onkyo SKS-H500 speakers ($245 shipped new to your door directly from Onkyo versus $269 plus tax at Circuit City). It ends up being 245 if you register at ShopOnkyo.com. Mine should be here Monday. Read CNets review
here.
If they can pick up a receiver for $150 - $200 (or more) they can stay within $400 dollars total and have a much better system than the Sony. Once they move out of their apartment and the husband is able to lay the smack down he could simply upgrade the receiver to support DD-EX and DTS-ES and shatter the windows in their new home since they don't have to worry about bothering neighbors. Basically, the Onkyo speakers could grow with them and all they'd need to do is update the receiver. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Oh yeah, as you probably know, ditch the included speaker wires and buy some bulk 14/16 gauge wire at Lowes or Home Depot for cheap. I bought a 100' roll of 12 gauge at Lowe's for like $25.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'd like to thank everyone for their help, especially Stephen for the JBL system link. My sister went ahead and bought the JBL system today. (Although she's complaning about the money.) She'll learn. And when she realizes how much better it'll be watching movies with a surround system, maybe she'll want to upgrade!

Thanks again, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.