can anyone help me with Bass Shakers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lissie, Aug 4, 2001.

1. lissie

lissie Agent

I would like to get a pair and I was wondering which model to purchase. Aura 25 watt or 50 watt.(what about other brands,is one better than another?) Do I need an amp? My room is 15x12 and I have a Technics sa-dx1050 100 watts per channel(500 watts).I saw the Aura pro series comes with an amp. As you can tell I have no idea what I need .... can someone please fill me in on the whole area of Bass Shakers???? THANK YOU!!!, Lissie

2. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

yes you will need an amp...unless you want to use one of the channels from your existing receiver (but then you'd only be able to use 4 speakers instead of 5!!)
    what i did was get my hands on an old receiver and use that for my amp...running the speaker wires from the old amp into my bass shakers...so if i watch a movuie and want the shakers on i just turn on the 2nd receiver!
    i got 10 of the 25w shakers...put for of them under my bed and WOW! i have no need for the other 6...i'll save those for future ideas..
    so to recap...buy some 25w shakers and an old receiver for like $50 (go to a pawn shop, used parts dealer, etc)
    they're fun lil things!

3. lissie

lissie Agent

Thank you everyone! If I find Clark Synthesis Tactile on sale would there be a huge difference in quality between 1 Clark and 4 Aura 25 watt bass shakers? (Clark $264. sale price...reg price $479.) Is Clark worth the extra money ?
    Thanks, Lissie

4. lissie

lissie Agent

still looking for help

5. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

It somewhat depends on what you want to spend and the pricing available. The 50 Watt Pro shaker is more effective the the 25 Watt units and I prefer them. However If you can get 4 of the 25 watt units for the price of one 50 Watt, I think the 4 would likely do a better job. Having not used the Clarks I can't be sure on this, but I've heard they produce a much better effect. The bass shakers are just that, shakers. The Clarks are closer to true transducers and do more then just shake, they give off vibrations that are more accurate and closer to the vibrations given of by speakers at high volume. There is also a huge shaker called a butt kicker that can really shake things up if you don't have a spending limit. I personally use 4 of the smaller shakers on my couch and one 50 watt shaker in the bottom of my recliner plus 2 small ones made by another company in my in the back of the recliner. I use an old HK amp to power them and usually keep the level low, where the shakers just match the sub's output. Sometimes guests don't realize the shaker are there and just think it's the sub doing the shacking.
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...
    [Edited last by Westly T on August 07, 2001 at 09:25 AM]

6. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

agreed...4 25w shakers are PLENTY..almost too much for my bed actually. and i bought 8 shakers thinking i might want to use all of them but after 4 i was happy..

7. John H

John H Second Unit