Can anyone help me with basic T.V. geometry?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Robinson, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Kevin Robinson

Dec 23, 2001
    Specifically- I'm looking for a good explanation or even a link to a website or post that can clarify what the different service menu controls are and how they work/interact. My direct view CRT has had a problem with bowed horizontal lines for some time now. I know to write down the default values in the service menu so I can bring it back up to original condition, but it seems that I should be able to correct this on my own. I'm happy with my grey scale, so spending several hundred dollars on a professional calibration only for the geometry seems necessary only if I can't fix it myself. I can live with the bowed lines for most sources, but on credits, or shots where there is a fixed horizontal line across the entire picture (think Lawrence of Arabia), it drives me nuts. I'd be happy to spend several hours tweaking it myself with a tape measure, but i need to know what to look for. Any advice? Thanks.
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen

Why don't you just use a test pattern ... look at the parameters like skew and pin and lin and key and toy with then until you understand what they actually do ...? It's easiest that way and you learn it yourself on your TV .....