Can anyone help a noobie?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TonyWright, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I have a new setup and I am very new to home theater. I am running a Yamaha RX-V2400. I am using Swans 6.1 for my mains and Swans R3 for my surrounds. I have a Swan C3 center channel on order, so it should be here soon. No subwoofer at this point.

I have the following settings:

Crossover is set to 60 Hz although I do not know what it should be set at.

Mains are set to large due to the lack of a sub.

Rears are set to small.

I have the receiver set to use only 4 speakers (2 mains and 2 surrounds).

The receivers bass and treble are both set to +6db which I thought was the max. (not quite sure)

I used the Yamaha YPAO feature to automatically setup my speakers.

I like the mid ranges and the highs, but the bass is just not there. I realize that the lack of a sub hurts here but even in stereo mode with a David Gray CD (higher bass) it just doesn't punch.

These main speakers each have 2 8'' woofers that I'm sure can do a better job with bass, but I think I am missing something in setup.

I did remove the plugs from the ports on the speaker cabinets so that shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone with this receiver and/or these speakers have any helpful setup tips? Actually, any pros out there that may have any tips for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. [​IMG]

Tony Wright

2. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Sorry for the broad questions, but it's difficult to ask since not everyone has the same setup.

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I'd try setting the crossovers at different settings, just to see if it makes a difference. Try 80 Hz and 100 Hz.
    Also, is the subwoofer turned on or off, in the receiver's setup menus? Whichever way it's set now, try it the other way and see what happens.
    Since there's no sub, try setting ALL the speakers to large. You shouldn't hurt anything by trying different stuff.

A friend that does have a sub, was having a problem with the sub cutting in and out all the time. Sometimes wouldn't come on at all. I looked around in his settings, on both the receiver and the dvd player. In the receiver's settings, he had the sub turned on, and in the dvd's settings, it was turned off. I turned it on in the dvd's settings too, and it started working like it should.
    Maybe your's needs to be on, even though you don't have a sub yet. It may not even send an LFE signal, if it's turned off. I'm not sure about this though. I don't know a lot about the technical stuff.

4. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I thought about the sub settings too. I modified my DVD player settings last night to match the receiver and still had no luck. It's difficlut to tell what is going on here.

Just generally speaking, does everyone think I should be getting more bass? I realice this is an extremely general questioni as not every one has my speakers and/or receiver. Has anyone else had issues with any other setup where they weren't getting the bass they expected?

Thanks in advance.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Look at the specs on the speakers it should say where the crossoverpoint(s) are in the speaker. Try setting to that frequency.

Why the treble up so hi if you want Bass?

I am sure your Yammie has different modes....try a cd that you know on the "direct mode" and then some of the other modes. Don't have the 'home theater mode' on 2 channel material.
    Does the power rating on the reciever match the speakers?
    If a 50 watt a channel reciever is hooked up to a speaker that needs a couple hundred to boogie; you will not get the base you want. I have 2 amps each rated at over 1000watts to drive my towers.
    Get a Avia set up disc if you don't have one and try using the disc set up and not the Yammie.
    Good Luck and keep notes on what you do. Change one thing at a time and read the manuals carefully

6. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Many thanks Grant!

I will try your suggestions ASAP.

The receiver does 120 X 7. More than likely it is only putting out approximately 80 per channel in when driving the 4 speakers I have.

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

If you haven't solved the problem yet, another possibility is that certain low freqs may have a noticeable dip in your listening position. Move around the room to determine if the bass output sounds better in other positions.

Doug

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Welcome to HTF. [​IMG]

Is there an easy way to reset to the default setup? If so, I would for the time being.

OK. First, I'd check all of the connections (interconnects and speaker connections). Probably best to have the CD player connected via analog inputs for the time being.

Next, I'd go through the receiver's setup procedure again, making certain that your speakers are set to the correct sizes and that your subwoofer is set to "off".

Play the CD using stereo or "stereo direct" or whatever Yamaha designates as their direct 2-channel mode. There are some "stereo" modes that redirect bass to a sub, but I'd guess that if you designated "no sub" in setup, then there shouldn't be any difference between this type of mode and a true 2-channel or "stereo direct" mode in your rig.

If the problem isn't fixed at this point, try your tone controls.

Still not working? Consider your room and its treatments.

Nothing new here in my response. You've been given many good suggestions in this thread.

9. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I have the same receiver, with large front JBL S310II towers. I have a sub, so get barely any bass out of these beasts. Once I turned off my sub and there was no bass coming out of the towers. I didn't play around with it any more, but if I were you I'd try the following:
    In the RX-V2400's menus, set:
    - BASS OUT to FRONT
    - SUB to NO (of OFF)
    - all speakers to LARGE

does this help?

10. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

MuneebM,

I have the receiver set up that way. Unfortunately it didn't help much. I am probably going to return the receiver to the retailer where I purchased it and try a Harman Kardon instead.

Hopfully a higher current amp will help out.

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Any chance you removed the gold jumpers from the binding posts on the 6.1s? If you removed those jumpers, then connected your speaker wire to only the top set of binding posts, you wouldn't be sending ANY power at all to the woofers. If you're not bi-wiring or bi-amping you should still have the gold jumpers in place on the binding posts of the 6.1s if you're just using one pair of binding posts on each speaker.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

12. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Nope the jumpers were always there and the speaker wire was connected to the bottom binding posts.

Actually I took the Yamaha receiver back to my local retailer tonight and I replaced it with a Harman/Kardon AVR 630. All I can say is WOW!

It made all the difference in the world. I don't know what was wrong with the Yammie, but the H/K is great. Unbelieveable bass response!

Thanks to all for all of your help. It has been much appreciated.

Tony Wright

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Glad it worked out.